Author Topic: Havarti # 3 Cheese # 34  (Read 1618 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Havarti # 3 Cheese # 34
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:55 AM »
I had the fun experience of showing some friends about making cheese. No longer the blind leading the blind, but I certainly do not feel knowledged. However, if I had been able to watch someone rather than trying to teach myself, I think it would have been less frightening for me. So hopefully they found the lesson useful.
I followed the exact same process of making Havarti, as I did on Havarti # 2, cheese # 33, not quite 3 weeks ago. Mostly the make went just the same, including flocculation at 15.5 mins. However, the cooking of the curd took over 30 mins for the pH to reach 6.4, whereas last make it dropped in 15 mins. Same milk, so I am not sure how it could be different. My guess is that there might have been a small amount more powdered starter in the first make that dropped more quickly. Another difference is that on the make that did not stir as long, I had to practically jump on the curd to fit it in the form, whereas this time it fit in relatively easily. I think that because I did not get to stir very long, the curd didn't loose enough whey. In fact in the vacuum bag there was liquid seeping out of the cheese, so I took it out to dry some more. It smells wonderful.
Susan