Author Topic: Basic Hard Cheese.  (Read 1743 times)

Vanknife

Basic Hard Cheese.
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
Hi to All,
               This the first 1Kg cheese I made, Basic hard cheese recipe. I brine soaked it for 6 Hrs dryed the rind over 5 days and then waxed. It maybe waxed to soon I am not sure but I am Flying out the country for Three weeks and I am hoping it will survive the loneliness  :'(.  I guess I will just have to take the risk. The best part is that it will have some time to mature without me be there to think of cutting it sooner.

Any critique welcome

Regards

VAN
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:16:47 AM by Vanknife »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Basic Hard Cheese.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
Looks nice!  Did you dry it in a very dry air?  it looks a bit like mine when I dried one during the wood fire heating season.  I think I will have to be careful now that the humid summer is over and I need to figure out a way to dry without the rind drying too fast.  Did you wax right on the cheese or use a cheese cream first?  I haven't waxed any cheese yet but I'm working towards it.....   Any hints?

Vanknife

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Hi Tiarella,
                 This is my first try to dry the rind in air outside a dry box all I did was to wipe it dry with some paper towel after the brine soak and turned it the first few day about every 2hrs and the coverred it with one of the plastic lids that one would use in a microwave oven it has a few holes on top. Cheese cream?? never heard of that. Offcourse I am still learning and for know I have only made a few small 500gr. cheeses and this the first one waxed, so I am still very green.

Sorry I can not give you any thing more that this.

Regards

VAN

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:59:36 AM »
It looks like you did a nice job of waxing your cheese. I look forward to seeing it when it has aged a bit.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...