Author Topic: Cold Smoking Provolone Cheese, Pickles, and Olives  (Read 14094 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Cold Smoking Provolone Cheese, Pickles, and Olives
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
Picture below submitted by reg. reg can you tell us how you cold smoke and why you decided to smoke so many Provolone Cheeses? Just for you or friends?

reg

Re: Cold Smoking Provolone Cheese, Pickles, and Olives
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
morning WM. all the cheese and other items are for one of the restaurants i work for. (google Copa Cabana in Niagara Falls) we go through a lot of different smoked products and the provalone is a very popular item

the smoke is provided by a single electric hot plate that can be purchased at any hardware store($15) and cherry is the wood of choice. it is abundant here in the Niagara peninsula. the smoker box itself is a propane smoker available at Home Depot. in this case the propane is not used just the hot plate. the temp is 65*f and the product is smoked for about two hrs turning one time

the smoked provalone can be used at home in many different ways including pizza, ravioli and so on. great stuff

Cheese Head

Cold Smoking Provolone Cheese, Pickles, and Olives
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
Well that is neat, both your smoked provolone and the restaurant! I love this style of this Brazilian Restaurant, the very popular and looks very similar chain one here in Houston is called Fogo de Chao, but sadly they have to roll me out of there ;D.

I read somewhere that store bought commercial smoked cheese is made by dipping cheese in liquid smoke or adding some to batch and that commercial liquid smoke because of large volumes and cost is chemically not real smoke derived, I may be wrong, but either way no comparison to yours I expect and as restaurant patrons attest!

Mouth watering just thinking about this, caveman side of us I guess ;)!

reg

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
CH thats true about the commercial smoked cheese, liquid smoke is added which does not make for a great smoked cheese. if you or anyone is going to try cold smoking their cheese in warmer temp zones place ice cubes in bags, bowls or on trays beteen the cheese and the hot plate. that will generally keep the temps inside the smoker down. if the cheese starts to sweat that will be a sign the temps are to high.

please don't buy store bought smoked cheese unless the label reads 'naturally smoked'.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »
morning WM. all the cheese and other items are for one of the restaurants i work for. (google Copa Cabana in Niagara Falls) we go through a lot of different smoked products and the provalone is a very popular item

the smoke is provided by a single electric hot plate that can be purchased at any hardware store($15) and cherry is the wood of choice. it is abundant here in the Niagara peninsula. the smoker box itself is a propane smoker available at Home Depot. in this case the propane is not used just the hot plate. the temp is 65*f and the product is smoked for about two hrs turning one time

the smoked provalone can be used at home in many different ways including pizza, ravioli and so on. great stuff

Thanks for the information.  I have smoked meats for years, but keeping the temperature low for cheese seems to be a challenge.  I like the idea of using an electric hot plate.  It can really keep the heat down.

After years of smoking, I have to agree that my basic firewood (oak, cherry, and maple) work the best.  The others (mesquite and hickory that you can buy in the store) are just too strong.

Just how long should you age the cheese, or should you, before smoking?  Do you age it first for a while and age it again, or put it in the smoker fairly fresh and then age it?

reg

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
morning DD. after making the cheese let it set up a few days then smoke and age it. you may want to age it in it's own area as it would transfer the smoke flavor to your other cheeses

you live in upstate NY, not to far from where i live

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I'm going to have to try and smoke a cheese soon.

You are not too far from me.  I have a couple of friends that live in your area.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »
Oh smoking your own cheese, now that has really got the brain cells working.  Also where could I find a recipe for provolone?  Had a look in my cheese book and I don't seem to be able to find one.
Thanks,
Tracey

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
Here's one for 100lbs of milk.  CH found this site and it is very informative.  Now, if you could just cut down the size, but the technique is there.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:44:20 AM »
I had a disaster with my Manchego Cheese http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=167.0

I dropped it while flipping it and it broke into thirds.  Ok, I'm an idiot.  Not being afraid to experiment, I saved the largest third to as the recipe called for.  Since I was already smoking a roast, I took the other two sections and placed them on the coolest area of the smoker...about 150 degrees.  I put them on for an hour, took them off to cool, put them back on.  I repeated this four times.  We'll see what I end up with.

Tea

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
So how did the experiement work out?  Would you do it again?
Just wondering.
Tracey

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
We'll see.  In a very rough attempt at making Oštiepok, just because it sounded so good and I'm a big fan of had cheeses, I smoked the cheese on and off for four hours.  Taking it out to cool, turning it and then putting it back in the smoker.  When I took it off the smoker, it was quite soft and moist, due to the heat, I believe.  I put it in the fridge last night and took it out when I got home from work.  It was very firm, ok, hard, but smells great.  So I waxed it and will put it in my cave for a month and try it.  My wax is just paraffin with some red Crayola crayons mixed it.  I know it's not ideal, but seems to work.  I got the idea from FANKHAUSER'S
CHEESE PAGE. 

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
Love the redneck improv, cheese, broke, just throw it on the barbie as they say in Oz. Does look good, fingers crossed for maturing phase . . .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:15:45 AM by Cheese Head »