Author Topic: Pressed Cheeses With Fine Surface Fissures - Unwanted Blue/Green Surface Moulds - Cause, Solution &  (Read 5560 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Great info, thanks, now how about some advice on those small almost unavoidable cracks, folds or oppenings.  I find it almost impossible to have a perfect rind.  The other day I made an aged pasta fillata cheese where a number of folds take place.  As much as I tried to close at a narrow point, the fold was wide enough to allow mould to grow.  Natamycin is beginning to look better and better.

Tiffany

Wonderful tips!  Ditto on washing the swiss better.  It all makes sense, just didn't think of it.  Thanks so much!

Alpkäserei

cracks on the surface of a cheese are the result of errors in pressing.

Most likely, I find that the error amateur cheesemakers make the most when pressing is that they do not flip it enough.

If you flip it just a few times, you will have folds and maybe even cracks. If you flip it many times, each time you do so the cheese becomes smoother. Also you may have cracks if your curd is too cold when you press it.

We flip our cheese 7 times during the 20 hours it is in the press. The standards for the type of cheese we make call for it to be flipped at least 6 times.

By flipping the cheese so much, you ensure a very nice, even pressing as well as a good smooth rind. You will find that if you have problems with making lopsided cheeses, flipping often also helps take care of this.

So how do you solve issues with cracks and folds? flip often, and press long and hard. And press warm.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Is the cheese rewrapped in cheesecloth for all the pressings?  Or are the last pressings done without cheesecloth?

Also, I think cracks can also occur if the aging place has low humidity.