Author Topic: more advice needed  (Read 3372 times)

ukdavid

more advice needed
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
The more I get into this, the more questions keep popping up.

Has anybody got, or use the 27 litre  electrically heated Enamel Cauldron from Ascott's in the UK for making cheese, any good?

Also, now we are getting into it, I quite like the 5.3 litre capacity cheese press, (  http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Cheese_Presses.html  Ref PD175, also from Ascott's) and think it seems a lot more robust than my home made press. I have one concern that others might be able to answer, As there is no gauge on it how do you judge the pressure that is required for the recipe, Guesstimate ? Or it there another way,
 I did think of trying somehow to put a scale under it, but there is not a lot of room between the bar's. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: more advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
That is a common issue with screw presses, you don't know what pressure you are applying. eg http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9187.msg65207.html#msg65207

There are several variations here on the forum that have springs and markings to give an indication of what pressure you are applying.
Here is one:  http://gnowfglins.com/2010/08/24/fencing-cheese-press-crocks-pickled-eggs/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:01:17 PM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Tobiasrer

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
I would recomened the dutch style, or if its not big enough build one they are quite easy, there are several examples on here, or I am sure some one would custom make if you requested.

ukdavid

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
Thanks guy's
I will spend a bit more time searching the forum  :)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »
Just for stater's here is one That Boofer started, Has a lot of info and a lot of input from other members, then there is this one that I like ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Just for stater's here is one That Boofer started, Has a lot of info and a lot of input from other members, then there is this one that I like ;)

A totally unbiased opinion about that second one?   A)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
H-K-J, I'm jealous of your shop!  And you have the same DeWalt chopsaw and stand that my brother has and he took his back after the barn was finished.  I miss it!  I do have a pretty full set of DeWalt cordless tools and I'm about to head out and use them in the greenhouse in a few minutes but I wanted to post about the press my dad made me.  It's a lot simpler of a design and build than your totally lovely press  (which is VERY impressive) but it has some cool features...especially around the plunging arm, follower set up, etc.  I just started a thread about it and posted photos.  I wasn't there when it was built because he lives way down in TX so there's no progress photos but I did attach his design pdf.

David, this is a pretty easy press to build.....the bottom surface could be replaced by a bigger one if I ever needed to use bigger molds to make bigger cheeses.  it just is notched to fit over the lower piece that's flat along the table.

you can see it here:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10472.0.html

ukdavid

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
What an amazing bunch of people you are. Thank you all for your links and pictures, they have all given me inspiration

Tiarella that is not a cheese press but a work of art :) Your Dad must be an amazing guy.

I would also like especially to thank smolt1. I sent him an email yesterday to enquirer about his press. He does not ship to the UK but, He was incredibly generous and sent me drawings and pictures to enable me to make my own. Thank you Bob, you are a star.

As the weather here is so atrocious, (high winds, cold and buckets of rain) I think I will load up the log burner grab a coffee and spend the next few hours wandering through the rest of this forum

Thank you

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Hi David, Yes, my Dad is an amazing guy and if the weather is that bad there I like your idea of holing up with coffee and the forum.  We have a daybed in our kitchen and I keep my iPad there and every cup of tea during the day finds me hunting and gathering information on the forum.  You are right, it's an amazing resource and a wonderful group of gracious and time generous people!  What fun!!!  Smolt's press looks extremely cool.....if I didn't have one I'd be talking to him about his design.  H-J-K's press is a work of furniture art!  Very cool. 

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »
I use Smolts' sturdypress and it is quite sufficient for my uses, even when making cheddar.

No complaints, nothing but praise...was quite a good price as well.

ukdavid

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »
Hi Bracken/Tiarella
Coffee for us is a bit loke cheese making, we start with the green beans, roast, grind and brew. I have decided to have a go with the smolt1 press. Looking forward to the challange. :)

bbracken677

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
One of these days, I want to try roasting...we grind and brew, but havent gone the route (which I hear is amazing) of roasting. Fresh roasted, ground, brewed...cant beat that!

ukdavid

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
We have been using this roaster for the past year of so, see link

http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/coffeemachine/Gene_Cafe_Coffee_Roaster.htm

Perfect for the home. The only problem is (as with all roasters) you need a vent to the outside otherwise the house fills with smoke. Quite simple to fix with a aluminum tube fixed to the outlet and led out of the window. Worth the effort.  bit like cheese, it takes a bit of getting used to. ;D