Author Topic: Mold removal  (Read 2749 times)

Tobiasrer

Mold removal
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
I read a lot that people use a brush to remove mold, I know to some it may seem a silly question but....
What Kind of brush do you use, and in what technique, especialy with more stubborn molds?
I have a Gruyere aging its starting to ger a red and orange rind but I am getting some greeish fuzy mold that doesnt wipe off easy, and some brown that doesnt wipe at all. My recipe calls for a salt brine, but I find its already moist from the rind molds I want and adding more from the brine gets kinda messy, and isnt really working anyways!
Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

BobE102330

Re: Mold removal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
I use a vegetable brush.  I have one with soft bristles and another with stiffer bristles, depending on how stubborn the unwanted mold is.  Sometimes I find I need a knife to scrape off stubborn molds -  remove as little rind as possible with the bad mold. 

For slimy mold removal I find I need to rinse the brush regularly.  I wash with brine after brushing down the mold. 

Hope this helps

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »

I use something simmilar to this.   if the mold has penetrated deeper (cought it a bit too late) - as bob said, you may need to use a sharp tool to scoop it out. 
You can even use a stiff toothbrush if you need a Precision tool.  ^-^

stratocasterdave

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »
I uses a piece of cheese cloth instead of a brush.  I use some vinegar and salt and rub with my fingers.  The salt alts like an abrasive on the hardier molds.