Author Topic: Pressed Cheese, Waxed - Sampling While Aging & Re-Waxing?  (Read 1685 times)

ukdavid

Pressed Cheese, Waxed - Sampling While Aging & Re-Waxing?
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
I was wondering if the more knowledgeable of you could tell me, Can I take a thin slice of cheese out of the center of a cheese to taste and put it back together, wax it and return it to the cave for a longer aging time? Hope that makes sense.

Just modified this post to ask another quick question. Using Debra Amrein-Boyes  book 200 easy home made cheese's, can I just half the ingredients to get a 2 pound cheese instead of a 4 pound cheese? I hope it turns out that simple.

Regards

David
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:30:07 PM by ukdavid »

Tobiasrer

Re: Pressed Cheese, Waxed - Sampling While Aging & Re-Waxing?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
Dont act on just my say, I am far from an expert.
But I would say yes. Parm for example is historicaly tested that way, as well as probably other cheeses, however depending on the cheese and environment you introducing the ability for bacteria to get INTO the cheese so I would be cautios with that, I know several people here do cut the cheese to smaller portions then vacume seal I dsont see that being much different.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
Use a "trier" for sampling.

ukdavid

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
Thanks for that Tobiasrer and sailor

I did think of a trier but wanted a bigger sample to taste  before deciding whether to continue the aging process. I like the idea of vacuum sealing, perhaps anybody reading this, and uses this method, could enlighten me.

Thanks again

David