Author Topic: cheese software  (Read 4393 times)

berger

cheese software
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
Some manufacturers of milk analyzing machines have software for storing data and for changing/finetuning recipes. (if fat to low then ...) (if PH too high then...)
I would love to have such a program, does it exist? Or is there similar decision making/expert software that can be used to store experience/expertise. Should this question be asked at another forum Cheese IT :-)

Mighty Mouse

Re: cheese software
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »
At least two people- myself being one of them, are currently working on software specifically for cheese recipes and cheese makes. This is the thread where I spilled the beans that I had been building such a program, there are also suggestions there regarding other pieces of software people use:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10180.0.html

Speaking about my program specifically, if I am understanding correctly what features you are asking about in your post then my program currently supports them (by currently, I mean they have been coded in and for the most part work but may need some fine tuning, more testing, etc...).
I am still a little ways out from having something really deployable but it is coming along very nicely. Most of the back end (IE the database stuff, the calculations, the recipe input, appropriate data structures, etc...) is done for a first release. I still have a little more I want to fix there but I am getting closer to satisfied.

I am currently building the graphical interface. This last week, I spent a good chunk of my free time working on the GUI's recipe input features which knocks out the most complicated part (IMO).

If you look at that thread, hoeklijn had also mentioned working on a similar program in Delphi. I am not sure what the status is on his program or if he has had time to work on it but I am very interested to see what his approach ends up looking like. I think it will be pretty cool.

I, unfortunately, cannot give you a solid release timeline. This is something I work on in my free time so every once in a while when I have a free hour or two I hammer away at it. I can say that I will be doing a test run tonight during my cheese make just to see how things work out. Once I hammer out the GUI, I plan to tap on some shoulders to try to get some people to beta test it for me.

Its coming along :)

[Edit] By the way, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears!

berger

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
Nice plan,
I volunteer as beta tester. Can add some whit mould data.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »
Can add some whit mould data.

What do you mean?

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »
If you look at that thread, hoeklijn had also mentioned working on a similar program in Delphi. I am not sure what the status is on his program or if he has had time to work on it but I am very interested to see what his approach ends up looking like. I think it will be pretty cool.

Well, hoeklijn didn't have too much time for it, I'm not even finding time to make cheese as much as I want and my cave is getting empty  :-[

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

Well, hoeklijn didn't have too much time for it, I'm not even finding time to make cheese as much as I want and my cave is getting empty  :-[

I know how that goes- hopefully your time will free up again. I had to stop cheese making for quite a while myself there- I only recently jumped back in.

I do not know much about Delphi but have been curious about it for some time. Hopefully your time will free up so you can finish it up. I would be curious to see how it turns out.

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
I do not know much about Delphi but have been curious about it for some time.

As you probably know it's pascal-based. The latest versions XE2 and XE3 can also compile native 32bit code for MacOS.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
I do not know much about Delphi but have been curious about it for some time.

As you probably know it's pascal-based. The latest versions XE2 and XE3 can also compile native 32bit code for MacOS.

Actually, I did not know that. I find that very interesting though. Now my curiosity is starting to bite a bit. I played around with Pascal several years ago and really liked the language. I found an introductory Pascal book at a Thrift store for like 50 cents, it was a very fun book to work through.
I do have an older Delphi book I found somewhere, I might crack it open a little later and take a look.

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
If you want, you can PM me about this subject. I'm a professional Delphi developer since version 1...

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:18 AM »
If you want, you can PM me about this subject. I'm a professional Delphi developer since version 1...

Thanks! I might end up taking you up on that (Who knows, maybe I can even help you finish up that cheese program down the road if you are still interested in working on it). There is a Free Pascal Compiler package in the Ubuntu/Debian repo so I went ahead and checked it out (I think that was the same compiler I used when I was goofing around with pascal before). The package description says it supports both Delphi and Turbo Pascal 7.
Most contexts I have heard of Delphi coming up seem to have been database related. I am very curious to see how it works with SQL.

hoeklijn

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
There is a Free Pascal Compiler package in the Ubuntu/Debian repo so I went ahead and checked it out (I think that was the same compiler I used when I was goofing around with pascal before). The package description says it supports both Delphi and Turbo Pascal 7.
Most contexts I have heard of Delphi coming up seem to have been database related. I am very curious to see how it works with SQL.

I used the Free Pascal Compiler under Windows with Lazarus but found it pretty unstable.
Delphi works very well with all kinds of databases, the Enterprise versions support all kind of databases with native components but I use it hardly because I'm more busy with other kinds of applications, see http://www.albelli.com. The downloadable Windows program to create photobooks is   partly my baby...