Author Topic: crotonese  (Read 443 times)

Offline green zebra

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
crotonese
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Does anyone out there know of a recipe for a crotonese cheese? I have searched many sites and have asked some cheese houses with no luck. I even asked the house that sells the mold to make this cheese? They offer many recipes but not this one.
Thank you!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
Re: crotonese
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
This is a pecorino variant. You make it like a pecorino. Are you trying to clone the flavor? Impossible without using the milk and indigenous flora.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline green zebra

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
 I won't even try to clone it but will use sheep's milk and follow Gianaclis Caldwell's recipe for extra hard cheese. just need the molds.
Thank you!

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
A pecorino is not an extra hard cheese. It's similar, but often it is acidified more before drain and also a bit lower before brine. The moisture targets are also higher. I would follow a classic pecorino toscano or pecorino romano recipe.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.