Author Topic: 2nd attempt at cheese, few questions  (Read 2395 times)

Tobiasrer

2nd attempt at cheese, few questions
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:46:42 AM »
Okay so I have built my press and after a sucesse with Mozza I decided to to jump to a pressed cheese with a Gruyere. Followed the recipe in 200 easy home made cheese's, but after reading on here wanted to try the floc method rather then just time out the 40min as per the recipe (was almost the same anyways) My question is with this recipe I used a different store bought milk, then my mozza, I also used Calcium chloreide whiche I haven't before. My spinning bowl stopped at about 10 min, and I waqited the additional 30 or so (a multiplier of 3 since its a hard cheese and rice sized curd) and I had a less then perfect clean break.
Could this just be imperfection with the rennet should I try a bit more in the future?
I have notes that I can put together later of the make in better detail, as well as a picture of the pressed cheese (I didnt take any through the make sorry) if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

PS dont know that it will last aging very well as there are a few imperfections in the rind from careless handling but gotta start some where and so far I am happy with the make.

Mighty Mouse

Re: 2nd attempt at cheese, few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
Hi Tobiasrer,
I do not have my copy of 200 Homemade cheese recipes handy so I cannot reference that recipe (Ironically, the existence of a Gruyere recipe in the book was one of the major reasons I got it. Also ironically, I have yet to make Gruyere despite that fact...)
I used a different store bought milk, then my mozza, I also used Calcium chloreide whiche I haven't before.
What do you mean by different store bought milk? What did you use? This could potentially be part of it depending on how the milk was treated. If nothing else you could try the make again using the original type of milk and see how it goes.

My spinning bowl stopped at about 10 min, and I waqited the additional 30 or so (a multiplier of 3 since its a hard cheese and rice sized curd) and I had a less then perfect clean break.
What do you mean when you say less than perfect break? With some store bought milks I have used, the curd is a bit soft and can throw you off when looking for a clean break. I look for being able to make a cut and being able to gently tug one side of the cut over slightly without a backfill (does that make sense?).

Could this just be imperfection with the rennet should I try a bit more in the future?
How old is the rennet and is it the same stuff as before? If it is the same stuff you used before when things turned out fine (and your last make was not last century) then I would guess that it is ok. Unless it is 1,000,000 years old (or more like 5) I personally would be surprised if the rennet is the issue. Other factors (such as temperature, acid levels, etc...) can effect the actions of rennet- assuming you followed the recipe (and assuming the recipe was legit), my hunch here is that either it was actually fine and was just doing the store bought milk thing, or it just needed to go a tad longer. Sometimes milk just acts funny.
I am not trying to make any assumptions here but I know when I first started out I used to worry about clean breaks a lot. At the time, store bought homogenized/pasteurized milk was all I could get. Since such milk sets a little soft, I had a really hard time in the beginning identifying clean breaks and determining the correct time to cut. Over time I got good at "reading" the curds and now it is like second nature. Over time I think you get a feel for these things.

I have notes that I can put together later of the make in better detail, as well as a picture of the pressed cheese (I didnt take any through the make sorry) if that helps.
That could help I am sure.

PS dont know that it will last aging very well as there are a few imperfections in the rind from careless handling but gotta start some where and so far I am happy with the make.
Imperfections?

Hey, if you are happy with the make, its hard to argue with that! Congrats. Also sounds like you are examining what went right and what went wrong and asking the right questions. I look forward to the pictures :)

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
I agree with MM on this...likely it's the milk. You should try again with your original milk.

One thing I have had success with, store-bought milk-wise, is to use a good 0% fat milk along with a good cream. Works almost as well as creamline milk but is much cheaper. Just make sure your milk and cream is not ultra-pasteurized. I found a 0% milk that is organic, pasteurized and not homogenized which works best...if you think about it, there is no reason for a company to homogonized milk which has had all the fat removed.

I often use raw milk as well...this is your best choice by far.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
Thanks both of you,
I live in Canada, so its illegal to sell/giveaway 'raw' milk, and because at current my yard will not accomodate a cow I am stuck with store bought milk :(
Here I am payiong about $5 per gallon, so I bought this milk at Costco its about $0.50 cheaper then the store I usually buy milk at  (different brand though)
The other difference I guess I should have mentioned is that in the past I used Rennet Tablets, but recently ordered (so used) liquid single strength from New England Cheese. I used 8 L (2gallons) of milk the recipe is for 16L but i dont have a pot that large, nor a mold or a want to waste 20$ for milk if it fails LOL So i cut the recipe in half from the book. Recipe says 3/4tsp rennet and Calcium Chloride so I used 3/8 of each (both are liquid form) with out thinking I used the same 1/4C water to dilute both before adding dont know that would make a big difference?
 I bought what is suppose to be a 2lbs mold but with my 8L I ended up filling it, plus my 500g gouda shaped and had left over that would have probably done another 500g, so basicaly I could have probably filled 2 2lb molds, until after presseing of course, is this normal? After pressing it dfow would it be safe or advisable to add more curd to a mold?
And my last question for now is... I took the Cheese out of the press this morning at 6 am, before work tidied up so my wife doesnt shoot me, an dleft for work, I didnt put it in the brine however, will it be fine until I get home at 6pm to get it brined? I am assuming its not the ideal process but will work!?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:25:12 PM by Tobiasrer »