Author Topic: New to cheese, New Homemade Press!  (Read 6298 times)

dthelmers

Re: New to cheese, New Homemade Press!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »
Nice design! I love the compound lever action. Now if you put a double pulley on the end like many of us do, you could probably use coins or fishing sinkers as weights!

hoeklijn

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »
Right,  top lever is 26/4=6.5, bottom lever is 14/4=3.5 so the total MA is 6.5 X 3.5 = 22.75. So only 10 lbs on the lever gives you 227.5 lbs pressing weight. Start the Cheddar!
I'm not so sure about that: As far as I remember from highschool the top lever will have a MA of just over 5, so 1 lbs weight will give 5 lbs on the top of the bottom lever. The bottom lever has an MA of 2.5, so 5 lbs will give 12.5 lbs on the pressing rod. Or am I totally wrong??

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

fulcrum AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA push rod BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB lever weight

The mechanical advantage of this lever is (A + B )/ A,  not B/A. The reason is because for a lever that pivots at the fulcrum the torque at the push rod has to be equal to the torque at the lever weight. In other words the torque at the push rod is( A x push rod force) and the torque at the lever arm is (( A+B ) x lever weight).

then  A x push rod force  = ( A+B ) x lever weight

so  then solving the equation ( A+B )/ A = push rod force/lever weight =Mechanical advantage