Author Topic: Best Casual BBQ Smoker  (Read 8065 times)

ellenspn

Re: Best Casual BBQ Smoker
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 01:50:19 AM »
The Weber is not in the budget.  I ended up with a El Cheapo Brinkmann to learn with.  Once I get the feeling for this one then I'll decide what I want to upgrade to.

MolBasser

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
That will work.  Just pay very close attention the first few runs to understand how to control the temp and you'll be fine.

smoking meat isn't rocket science.

MolBasser

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
I always suggest the El Cheapo Brinkmans (aka ECB) as a first smoker. Some people actually don't like cook or experiment with all the wonderful herbs and spices so they've not wasted much money if they give up on it. I have one that's about 8 years old now and I still use it from time to time. Travels well but it need a bit of rebuilding. Getting might rusty after all these years in the snow with just a cover on it.

I find men have a harder time than woman it's that desire to make BIG FIRE and BIG SMOKE that will get them everytime.  ;D

MolBasser

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
If you can control the temp, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

MolBasser

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 03:02:34 AM »
Seems funny how everything we do revolves around controling temperatures doesn't it?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »
I looked at, and owned, a bunch of bar-b-que/smokers and finally found one that is relatively inexpensive and does everything I'll ever need, Char-Griller.  With that said, I recently also bought the same company's egg, or in this case, Akorn for grilling steaks.  They work great for all of my needs.  You can also buy the right side, slighty larger charcoal grill, as a stand alone grill for $119.00 and the side firebox as a table top grill which doubles as a bolt on fire box for $70.00.  My setup ran me just under $300 and the egg was another $300.  Check out Lowes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:18:58 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos