Author Topic: Aging in my refrigerator  (Read 6774 times)

Mighty Mouse

Re: Aging in my refrigerator
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »
MightyMouse, I'm a bit surprised to read your comment that most cheeses like to age at about 45 because that is contrary to what most of the long term cheese makers are saying on the forum I believe.  It is also contrary to what I read in all the books.  I would think it is the exception to find a cheese that likes it that cold.  Mostly I read that long term final aging at that temp is not a disaster but will take much longer to achieve goals. 

I hope others will chime in on this topic.

Ack! Doh!
Oops, 50 is what I meant. I had in my mind that "45 is not that far from 50". 50 is what I shoot for with most of the cheeses I make. My cheese fridge generally hits around 50 but keeping it that warm consistently is not that easy.

I didn't mean to imply that one can't or shouldn't use a regular refrigerator to age cheese but wanted to question the statement that "most cheeses like to be aged around 45 degrees" which I believe is a less accurate thought.  It is certainly true that there are some cheeses that like that but "most" liking that is not in line with what I've read.  That's all......didn't want someone aiming for 45 for everything if they had other options.  I'm hoping experts will chime in.......since I am not one.   :D

No wait a minute- I knew something seemed off. I DID mean that comment the way I stated it! You misquoted me!
I said:
Many cheeses actually like to be aged around 45F. (...)
The point I was trying to get at was:

2) What I did before I got a dedicated cheese fridge (which by the way I keep at about 45-50F, not that much higher than you), I just looked at the recipes and stuck with cheeses that were lower temp friendly. I ended up with some pretty good cheeses that way.

Here is a list (just flipping through some cheese books and looking at some recipes) that call for 45F or lower temps. This is just a quick look:
Camembert (45- Carroll)
Provolone (40-45, Carroll)
Traditional Swiss (45- Carroll)
Stirred-Curds Cheddar (45-55- Carroll)
Plus I saw a few goat cheeses in there too.

From Karlin:
American Style Brie (38F- which seems low, I am trying this one right now- so far so good, couple more weeks on the aging, we will see)
None of the others pop out at me in Karlin but I would not be surprised if there are some.

Admittedly, this is a short list, but most certainly long enough, and diverse enough, to get started on. If you can't meet the 50F mark (or higher), why not work on cheeses that are ideally aged at the temps you can accommodate. That was my point.

Now that we cleared that up, do we still need to call in the experts to save the day?
:)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:14:34 AM by mightyMouse.tar.gz »

Spellogue

Re: Aging in my refrigerator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

As for the cross contamination, I am ready to fight any molds that start to appear. I have had one cheese (a jack) sitting in the box for only 4 days now and intend to start oiling tomorrow. How long do you usually expect a cheese to go before an invasion occurs?

Of course there are a multitude of variables ranging fro moisture content, acidity, saltiness and adjuncts in the cheese through environmental conditions in the fridge and drying room that will impact the onset of wild blues.  I usually start the vigil in earnest within 5-7 days for soft cheeses and 10-14 days for the firmer ones.  Sometimes I  start preventative vinegar washes within this time frame.  I also aim to lard, oil, or wax in this window.  I have been hesitant to wax a cheese that has shown signs of unwanted blue though.