Author Topic: Measurements  (Read 677 times)

Offline Tobiasrer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Measurements
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
I havent read this question adresed anywhere yet so I am going to ask:

Does the measurement of the Culture I add make a big difference? I know the rennet and Calcium Chloride can have an impact on taste and...
But does thec amount of my Meso or Thermo matter? part of the reason I ask is I see alot of people are saying they add a little of this or that, so if you need one teaspon are you changing to 3/4 and doing a 1/4 of the addition or just adding willy nilly amounts? am I being to fussy measuring the cultures or could I just sprinkle what looks right and move on?

Thanks!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Measurements
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »
From my reading here and other sites it is important and affects the finished product in taste, texture &/or looks. (Depending what is being added) eg not enough propioni = small bubbles, too much = large airspaces.
There would be no need for those little 1/8th and 1/16th measuring spoons otherwise.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
Generally if you hear someone say they added just a tad of Geo or PC it is likely 1/32nd tsp or less since those are not the main acidifying cultures and are not needed in a significant amount. Most of my makes are 2-3 gallon and I typically use 1/4 tsp meso or meso/thermo combination. There are times I wonder if 1/4 tsp may be just a tad too much.

Offline jerryg

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
What would be the (undesirable) result of too much starter culture in a soft-ripened cheese?
I've seen many recipes calling for 1/4 tsp meso in only 1 gall of milk.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) but you may wind up with an overly acidic cheese, one that may ripen sooner than it should with some potential off flavors. I could also affect the texture in unfortunate ways.

Offline Tobiasrer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure. Obviously i wasnt planning to add a whole package when i am told 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for giving a bit more precise measure of what a 'tad' is! Is there a thread anywhere that has a disc of what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place or am I stuck readin through them all lol? Curious as to why soem one adds a 'tad' of this or that for my own makes.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 85
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
Here somethin that might help when you are trying to figure measurement's

Measure Equivalent;

Drop=1/64 tsp.
Smidgen=1/32 tsp.
Pinch=1/16 tsp.
Dash=⅛ tsp.
 Tad=¼ tsp.
3 tsp. = 1 Tbs. = ½ fluid oz.
 4 Tbs. = ¼ cup=2 fluid oz.
5 Tbs. +1 tsp. = 1/3 cup = 3 fluid oz.
8 Tbs. = ½ cup= 4 fluid oz
"Happiness is not the absence of conflict,
But the ability to cope with it."

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure. Obviously i wasnt planning to add a whole package when i am told 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for giving a bit more precise measure of what a 'tad' is! Is there a thread anywhere that has a disc of what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place or am I stuck readin through them all lol? Curious as to why soem one adds a 'tad' of this or that for my own makes.

You can do a search in the forum for mother culture...also you might try a search for specific cultures (like flora danica) ... you will get a lot of useless stuff but often will find things that will add to your knowledge base.  I know that MM100 and flora danica have bacteria that add buttery flavor tones...where as like a Kazu, you have a meso and thermo combination which increases nutty flavor(LH100).

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 199
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »
What would be the (undesirable) result of too much starter culture in a soft-ripened cheese?
I've seen many recipes calling for 1/4 tsp meso in only 1 gall of milk.

Which cheese? What do you mean by soft ripened? Even families of cheeses have wide variances.

All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure.
it's actually the opposite. Much easier to measure with a mother.

what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place
It is strain specific, not even specie specific. Can you ask about a specific commercial product or strain? There are some metabolic generalities, though, such as a l lactis diacetylactis produces diacetyl and bacilli generally have more endopeptidases that leads to more flavor development potential.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 199
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
Kazu, you have a meso and thermo combination which increases nutty flavor(LH100).
Meso/thermo blends may or may not increase nutty flavor, there's a huge range of possibilities. Nuttiness generally is characterized by 2 methylbutanal and/or 2-methylpropanal, as well as, IMHO more importantly, 3-methylbutanal (Maryanne Drake and her team did this work, among others). And the metabolic pathway for it is interestingly enough typically found in select species of l lactis ssp lactis. The helveticus part of Kazu more helps with bitterness control and overall "cheesyness" than outright nuttiness.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.