Author Topic: My First Gruyere  (Read 2447 times)

Tobiasrer

My First Gruyere
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
So here is my newly built press, With no weight I get approx 5 1/2lbs of pressure.
And of course my Gruyere That is air drying and will hopefully be edible in 6 months!
From 2 Gallon of milk I ended up with too much for the mold so I also used my small not quite kadava mold

Hoping this weekend to try a gouda, or some other cheese that ripens a bit faster, patience is not always my thing lol

Mighty Mouse

Re: My First Gruyere
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
Looks great! Can't wait to build (or buy) my own- you get a cheese for the inspiration! I look forward to hearing how the cheeses go.

If you want a hard(ish) cheese that ages in a short time frame what about a shorter aged manchego?

Tobiasrer

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
Thanks for that recomendation! I will see what I can find on a recipe for one.

I built the press myself, there are a few modifications I would like to make, the table or deck is only 7 3/4" wide so that will limit my mold size, My grrove ct to drain the whey needs to be refined but all in all I am happy, I would be willing to share the plans if you wanted, It cost about 60-80 all told but The entire thing is oak which is pricey here, I could save on the base, and I found a hardware store that sells at a lower board foot then I bought so......

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
Thanks for that recomendation! I will see what I can find on a recipe for one.

I built the press myself, there are a few modifications I would like to make, the table or deck is only 7 3/4" wide so that will limit my mold size, My grrove ct to drain the whey needs to be refined but all in all I am happy, I would be willing to share the plans if you wanted, It cost about 60-80 all told but The entire thing is oak which is pricey here, I could save on the base, and I found a hardware store that sells at a lower board foot then I bought so......

I would appreciate that! Seeing all of these presses here has caught me wanting to build one of my own here in the near future.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Ok so my cheese is now about 2 1/2 weeks old, I will up load some newer pics tonight
but am concerned about mold growth on it,
i am getting some blue fuzzy and some white, the white is easy to remove the blue holds on better. As well there are soem kinda brownish no fuzzy spots that show up are these normal, how should I be treating them? The blue if it doesnt wipe of i use a nife and scrape gently and then wipe with brine again.
I have a reddish orange that is some spots is kinda goeey, from soem threads it seems this is what I should have? and that it will dry out eventually?
My recipe just says molds of various colours and didnt come with a picture so I am in the dark. THANKS a tonne in advance!