Author Topic: My Reblochon seems to have an issue  (Read 10339 times)

mbox

My Reblochon seems to have an issue
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
Hi , i made a Reblochon which was my first time and i posted about it in this thread: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10300.0.html

As time has passed i am facing the situation that i don't see any smear and actually blue appears and white mold...i did now discontinue to wash it since a few days asi am puzzled what to do....generally i know the blue shouldn't be there but also i haven't seen any orange/red smear . Here some pictures of it today to give you an idea:

what do you recommend doing? should i remove the blue parts with vinegar and wash the rind again? or any other ways? I did not do the vinegar to remove the blue molds as it is just too much spread out and that would also destroy the mold which i want to have. I have to assume that the blue mold comes from the blue cheese i stored in the same cave( fridge) although in a ripening container...what would you do?

thanks for your insights, mbox

iratherfly

Re: My Reblochon seems to have an issue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
Which recipe did you follow?

Reblochon usually doesn't have enough time to develop this because you wash it very often in the cave and then wrap it in the fridge. I would just wash it with a brush. Use coarse salt and it will scrape the excess mould you have.  Your cheese looks like it did develop a fair amount of B.Linens under the geo.

I wouldn't use vinegar at this point because you will kill your desired moulds with it.
Smell the blue mould: If it smells dusty, it is likely yeast or mucor. If it smells like Rouefforti than indeed it's an infection from nearby cheese.

By the way, there is a cheese called Montbriac which is essentially a blue Reblochon... consider that! It's a tasty treat!

mbox

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
Thanks a lot iratherfly, i did as you suggested and while removing the blue molds it became clear that it is the roqueforti which caused the mold, it even penetrated at some parts to the inside which was also the piece i then tasted...it was pretty good :-) i noticed that it softens up already on the inside so i hope it will still become reblochon or montbriac :-) i am pretty sure that i will see the blue mold returning but maybe not as strong....here some pics of the two hooligans  O0   

mbox

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:53:48 AM »
what is your washing schedule, and with what do you wash the cheese?

as iratherfly points out, frequent washing will prevent mold from growing.

mbox

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »
The recipe i use  is   from "200 recipes"  i washed every 2nd day with brine made of 0,5 cup boiled water and 1tsp salt. The last 3-4 days i discontinued as i wasnt sure what to  do

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
They look nice now!

How long have they been in the cave? You should wash every two days only the top part (and turn them in between so every day, an alternate side of the cheese is being washed). The second week, give them only 3 washes.  Then they need to be wrapped and moved to the fridge.  It is also important to begin the first wash after the cheese has yeasted and shows the first signs of geo (about 3-5 days but higher than cave temp).

I would suggest you read my Reblochon thread and recipe; it will clear up your questions about the wash regiment and aging. (It's a long post but hopefully interesting and fun).  Here's the link: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9928.0.html

mbox

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
thx iratherfly, they have been 4,5 weeks in the cave ...i guess i should wash them same as you described at beginning or do i was 3 times a week?...or should i simply go by touching it and maintain the rind sticky ?

will have a read on the other thread you linked

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »
Washing the cheese in the first week every second day means really that you wash the top of the cheese one day, then turn it the next day and wash the top and sides (the parts that you didn't wash the day before). The next day you turn it and wash the top again and so forth.  This way, every side of the cheese gets a wash every 2 days.

The second week, reduce it to wash one day, turn+wash the next day. Then rest a day. Then turn and wash, turn and wash, rest a day and do that once more.

The reason you only wash the top part is that the bottom is on wood. You don't want it too wet or suffocated.

At this point the cheese should become pillowy and soft. If not enough, give it another wash, turn the next day and wait 2-3 days this time.  When it's ready, wrap and move it to the fridge for another week or two. Done.

If you read my thread, I also explain that it needs to go through 3 aging period. The first period is what's called "yeasting" and it is in higher-then-cave temperature. The cheese must go through that before the first washing. It's quite critical.  The 200 Easy Cheesemaking Recipes book doesn't specify any of those details. They have a sort of a simplified version that doesn't really work very well.

Is that more clear now?  Please read the thread, I have a feeling it will help you.

mbox

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »
Just an update ....different washing sure made a difference( so did the triple door beverage Fridge which became my Cave)  ...this are the 2 Reblochons currently aging ...

mbox

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:14:05 AM »
I think I finally get the washing regime...

While each piece of the cheese gets washed only every second day, some washing is in fact occurring every day!

day 0 - side A
day 1 - side B plus sides
day 3 - side A
day 4 - side B plus sides
day 5 - side A
day 6 - side B
etc

The 'top' and 'bottoms' were confusing me!

Is this correct?

NV.

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
Ooops, just saw this post now.  For anyone still interested... yes. correct! This routine begins after the yeasting period. And then it continues for at least a week after the regiment you wrote down, but only 3 washed per side per week (so a couple of "days off" in between). 1-2 more washes in the third week only if needed, but really it's time to refrigerate.

KTownCheese

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Good job on the save!  Looks liek that will be one tatsy reblochon!

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
Allow me to piggy back...   
Im at week 3 of washing.  Its a very high moisture cheese (failed semi lactic, too much rennet), to dry it up a bit I left it naked in the fridge for a few days.
GEO 13 in the milk, 3 % brine PLA spray. 

Nice geo covering and worm like, but shmear is very far from coverage.  Its very pale yellowish. 
Ripening at 10-11c.

I seem to be getting the start of a slip skin.  The sticky rind seems to have sort of "air bubbles" just under the rind.  the cheese is still rubbery-firm.

Should I give up complete linens covering and get it into the cold fridge? 

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:08:09 AM »
Not sure I understand your cheese type. But you are doubling up on the geo which is already a very dominant element. Your cheese has Geo in it already and the PLA has enough geo to ripen your entire cheese too, so you are obviously out of balance.

The linens in the PLA are light color linen, not strong orange. They start out creamy, then move to yellowy and gradually into orange with a dusty covering of late-blooming geo.  Without pre-yeasting, your yeast is probably sluggish and I suspect there isn't enough for the B.Linen to go on. It will grow, just very slowly.

By the way, the type of geo in the PLA does not make it like worms. The Geo 13 does. (a little but, not too much). Reduce humidity and rub some salt. It will hold back the geo and let the other guys develop.

Tomer1

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:08:36 AM »
Not sure I understand your cheese type
Me nither, Insted of tossing it to the bin I decided to expiriment with PLA and washing.

Well they are in yellow stage with some white geo dusting. I'l take some pictures for future generations :)