Author Topic: Homemade Mozzerella  (Read 1678 times)

KenyD

Homemade Mozzerella
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
Hello everyone. Two summers ago I was introduced to homemade cheeses while I was in Eastern Quebec. I fell in love right away. It was just yesterday that I finally made my first batch of cheese. Actually it was mozzarella curds I wanted. My daughter loves the freshness and when it's still warm, we call it "squeaky cheese".  It's the best cheese for poutine!!!

Anyhow, it went with two exceptions I need help resolving.

1) I used 2% Sealtest milk and the curds had no taste. I added cheese salt but maybe not enough? 3/4tsp for 10 cups of milk. Any thoughts?
2) While stirring the curds, they started to stick together and make a ball in the pot. I heated it to 105 deg F as instructed. Did I do something wrong or is this normal?  I had to tear it apart by hand to get curd size/shape again.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

sigurdur

Re: Homemade Mozzerella
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Hey there Ken.

1. Try to use unhomogenized full milk. That said, I get a very good mozzarella from pasteurized homogenized full milk.
2. Be more careful when stirring. I don't stir heavily when heating up the curds, I only try to move the mass around using a large ladle. I imagine the curds will mat together if you stir too "agressively" or not at all.

p.s. Got any pics of your cheeses? ;)

bbracken677

Re: Homemade Mozzerella
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Haven't tried it with mozz, but I have had excellent results with cheddar using 0% pasteurized milk and pasteurized cream (not ultra-pasteurized)....add enough cream to reach the fat content required by the cheese and voila!  I have compared the curds from that combination with the curds that resulted from using whole HP milk from the same dairy, and the difference is definitely improved.