Author Topic: One Hour Mozzarella- Huge Success-Finally  (Read 4440 times)

murmur

One Hour Mozzarella- Huge Success-Finally
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I was getting super frustrated trying to make mozzarella with a cheese kit that my wife recently bought me. After some reading and asking some questions( on a different forum) I had myself convinced that my citric acid additions were over-acidulating my milk. After 4 failed attempts I was ready to give up. But-I ended up at the library recently and lo and behold before I could stop myself I had found and checked out"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cheese Making"

No stove top- no curd cutting-fast and easy

One hour later- my faith in humanity is restored and my wife has love in her eyes again.lol

Guess I am an idiot.

MrsKK

Re: One Hour Mozzarella- Huge Success-Finally
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
Congratulations!

Care to share the recipe you had success with?  Mozz is such a tough nut to crack, it's good to have as many methods as possible available so people can try different ones until they have success.

Banjoza

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
Yes please! Please! Please!

I have tried and failed at Moz. so often that I now blush and pull a paper-bag over my head when anyone describes me as a cheese-maker.  The dogs are so sick of eating all my failures they run outside when I start to pull out my cheese making equipment.

I put my failures down to not having a PH meter but buying anti-depressants is cheaper than those things so PLEASE do share that idiot-proof recipe!  (It's probably not idiot-proof enough for me though *sigh*).

mnmaxg

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
Congrats! I'm eagerly learning as much as I can before jumping into a mozz batch. Id love to hear what you did.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Yes please do share!
I have tried a the citric acid method 2x and ended up with a cheese spread LOL long ways from Mozza!
I did a cultured Mozza 2x with ONE success! So anything that can give me a better chance at success will brighten my day! I dont take failure well lol!
Banjoza have you had success with anything or is mozza all you have tried and are you only trying a citric acid mozza? I gave up on mozza, wasnt worth the hassel, maybe when I get a pH meter I wil give it another go! so far theough I am 3 for 3 with my other cheese makes!
Best of Luck!

Banjoza

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
Hi Tobiasrer, I have success with other cheeses, it's just the Moz that exists purely to torment my soul.

Come on Murmur, do share the recipe, your make-notes, tips and tricks, don't make me hurt you now!

murmur

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:40 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Been down in Phoenix on vacation- bought some cheesemaking goodies while down there-have a new Mad Millies cheese press and some liquid rennet, lipase and assorted and sundry items.

Back to this idiot proof mozza-
Ingredients
1/2 tsp Calcium Chloride solution
1/2 cup distilled water(approx)
2 tsp citric acid
1/2 rennet tablet( I used 1/2 tablet of Fromase 50)
1/2 tsp flaked salt
1 gallon 2% milk( store bought homogenized and pastuerized)

Start with 4 small cups on your counter starting on your left
Cup #1. Combine 1/2 tsp Calcium Chloride with 2 Tablespoons distilled water
Cup #2.Measure out citric acid
Cup #3.Place rennet in cup and break up with dry spoon. Add 4 Tablespoons of distilled water and stir to help rennet dissolve.
Cup #4. Measure out 1/2 Teaspoon of flaked salt

Place milk into sterilized cheese pot and begin warming slowly in sink of warm water. Stir in Cup#1 and then sprinkle in Cup#2 while gently stirring.
Heat slowly always keeping the sink water about 10 degrees F hotter than the milk. I partially drain and fill the sink frequently slowly stirring and warming the milk to 88F. You will see curd activity on the surface.

Once the milk reaches 88F-add Cup#3 and gently stir in with up and down motion for 1-2 minutes. Then stir only briefly every few minutes to distribute the heat as you raise the temperature of the milk to 105F. At this point you will see the rennet's effect and a seperation of curds and whey.
At this point I drain a bit of water and add cool water adjusting the sink temperature to about 107F.
I cover the milk and allow to rest for 20 minutes . do not peek or agitate the pot in any way.

After 20 minutes open the pot to find a mass of white curd floating in greenish whey.
Use a large slotted spoon or strainer to transfer the curds to a microwave safe bowl.
If curds are too soft then wait a few minutes more.
Gently press the curds with the back of a spoon to force whey from the curds-keeping the curds warm. Pour off excess whey and place in microwave on high for about a minute.

Remove from microwave and knead some more using your spoon forcing out more whey. Add Cup#4  in small increments and mix in well. Cheese should begin to mass and become sticky.
Microwave again on high for 1 minute remove and drain off any remaining whey. Cheese will be hot to the touch so wearing rubber gloves begin to stretch and knead the cheese like taffy.
If it starts to tear then heat briefly again in the microwave. This is a sign that the cheese is too cold. Cheese should be 140-150F
When cheese looks nice and glossy then you are done.

I pinch off small balls of cheese (about 6) into ice water for about 10 minutes to cool and then I drain and dry them and they are ready to eat.

I did have to try a few different grocery brands to find milk that was not overheated in the unending quest for food safety.  I now buy my milk at Coop grocery stores in Alberta.I too had made some inadvertant cheese spread. I also tried milk with greater fat content and it failed. I had always heard to avoid adding calcium chloride for mozza and yet this recipe has worked beautifully for me. I hope it works for you as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:45:50 AM by murmur »

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
That looks great!  I, too, add CaCl to my citric acid mozzarella and have just fine results.