Author Topic: My first Brie  (Read 12023 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My first Brie
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 06:31:20 AM »
Hi Boofer,

I found a thread awhile back that listed 5 to 6x floc for brie and cam, so I went with 6x.  Also has a fairly large cut (2.54 cm, or 1 inch cubes), and transfered after only 10 minutes stirring and a bit of settling.

So far it's looking ok.  This should end up in the cold fridge in a couple weeks.  We're taking a bit of time away around Christmas, so it has to be self sufficient by then!

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

So far it's looking ok.  This should end up in the cold fridge in a couple weeks.  We're taking a bit of time away around Christmas, so it has to be self sufficient by then!

- Jeff

Won't they be eaten by then?  Or at least they will be wrapped so should be safe.......I can never remember the fridge life of ripe Brie.  I hope you have a lovely time away......  Hope your cheeses don't get too lonely.  I know there are pet sitters, anyone had cheese sitters?????? ???

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
Hi Tiarella,

My understanding is around 3 weeks for mold development to complete, then wrapped and 4-6 weeks in the cold fridge.  So, should be ready in Jan.  Or, we'll come back to a very messy fridge!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
Still very wet in the boxes, but getting there.  My flipping technique is not as good as I had hoped, and there are a few cracks/splits formed but so far, they are still two large flat disks.  I've not had cell division yet.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
Still very wet in the boxes, but getting there.  My flipping technique is not as good as I had hoped, and there are a few cracks/splits formed but so far, they are still two large flat disks.  I've not had cell division yet.

- Jeff
Brie mytosis?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
Yah!  First sign of mould on one of these.  Didn't see any on the other yet, but it's still a bit wetter.  Have worked out a system for flipping that doesn't crack the cheese so much.  Seems to be working.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:12:19 PM by JeffHamm »

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »
Mold spotted on the 2nd of the two wheels.  This wheel, however, also has some liquid bits, so it will be interesting to see how it ripens. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »
Looks really good, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  I'm not sure though.  They seem to have a bit of liquid, so I might have to work on drying them out a wee bit.  Will have to work on a few things.  They have thinned right out.  As we're going to be away during the ripening phase, I'm hoping they don't over ripen!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
I've determined that the liquid is from over active geo, so I salted the areas where it was forming last night.  That seems to have helped, so I've given both cheeses another sprinkle of salt.   Good mold development on the sides (which are only about 1 cm), but nothing much yet on either face.  I think the geo was too much.  I'm hoping this does it and we get pc on the face soon.

- Jeff

Tobiasrer

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
Best of luck! Hope the salting helps you get through the holidays safe and sound!

I dont think traveling with aging brie in your suitcase is the best plan!  :o

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
Salting seems to have helped.  The liquifying cheese seems to have stopped.  Now, if the pc will just cooperate and take over the flats then we're all set.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Jeff, do share your flipping technique please.  (wow, that Canberra read in another way as in, "share your beeping technique!"  ;D). But seriously, I can't imagine how to do that with such a large diameter thin cheese.  My Tellagio isn't even that thin and I managed to get two tiny cracks in it while handling it for initial weigh in. 

Are you going to set up a wireless remote viewing camera to keep an eye on it while you're gone?   ;)

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Hi Tarella,

The cheeses are laying on some large hole needle point mats.  To flip them, I lift the mat onto a dinner plate.  Then, I place a second mat on top and a 2nd plate, and flip the plates.  Given the cheeses are so thin, this works fine.  I don't think you could do it if they were wider and the plates would squish the cheese.

Camera ... hmmm ... good idea. 

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »
That's how I flip my cams, but with 2 cutting boards...I flip 3 at a time that way.
The key is flip as quick as possible lol