Author Topic: My first Brie  (Read 12022 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: My first Brie
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Hi Tarella,

The cheeses are laying on some large hole needle point mats.  To flip them, I lift the mat onto a dinner plate.  Then, I place a second mat on top and a 2nd plate, and flip the plates.  Given the cheeses are so thin, this works fine.  I don't think you could do it if they were wider and the plates would squish the cheese.

That's what I do but your cheese looks much wider than mine so I thought you must have super special trick.  How big is your Brie?

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
The mould it was made in was 20 cm in diameter, but they've expanded since then.  Hmmm, next time I try this I'll keep them in the mould a bit longer to see if they will firm up more.  Probably about 22-23 cm across maybe?

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:39 AM »
Well, these are now wrapped and in the cold fridge.  Forgot to get photos.  The faces are fairly well covered on one side of both cheeses, and the other is patchy.  Some blue spots have formed, but I'm hoping the PC will over power it (though a touch of blue wouldn't be a bad thing).  Anyway, will be curious to see how these turn out.  I'm fearful that they will just develop slip skin and over do it, but there is always hope.

Will post a photo on the unwrapping around Jan 4th or 5th.

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:55 AM »
Why wrap before pc is fully developed?

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
Because we flew out to Canada that day.  It's developed enough, and will continue to grow (slowly) while in the cold fridge.  The geo is more or less under control, but was starting to play up again, so lowering the temperature will (fingers crossed) help deal with that.  These may not turn out all that well, but we'll see.  I have to work on my bloomy cheese technique.  I've been focusing on hard and semi-hard cheeses.  I think these needed more draining, and could have spent another day in the moulds to help firm up their shape, etc.  Also, I needed to get onto the over active geo sooner, and my early flipping technique was poor and resulted in some splits that almost cut one of them into 3 parts (and these have not healed properly, though at one point I thought they were).  Still, they may turn out to taste ok, as the curd samples that have come away through misadventure so far has been nice and promising.  So, now it's hoping the last stretch in the cold fridge goes well.  Will know when we try them early in the new year. 

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
Makes perfect sense!  I figured there was a reason.    ^-^

JeffHamm

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
:)  We made it to Nova Scotia last night.  Today, there is a gentle snow falling.  Very nice.  Genesta (my daughter) is very pleased to see the snow.  Vanessa and I are just very pleased to see the end of the airports for awhile. 

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Traveling is such a pain these days...but the destination makes it all worthwhile.    :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Well, we're back in NZ now.  Just checked the two Bries, and as feared, two runny messes.  Oh well, I can't say I'm too surprised.  The fluid tasted ok, no amonia, but not what I was going for.  Also, two of the cheeses I vac sealed just sweated in the bags and are now coated in b.linens, in a very thick pasty way.  One was a wensleydale, and the other was a butterkase.  Hopefully the cheeses didn't get too wet and go off.  Will find out once I get them dried out a bit.  Ah, the joys of travel (oh, by the way, it is possible to watch Brave, Prometheus, and all 3 Lord of The Rings films during the flight Vancouver to Auckland.  Guess how I know?

- Jeff
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:19:20 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
Hmmm, sorry you were right about this!  Can you use it for a cheese dipping sauce or in a tart?  Or over potatoes?  I wonder if the strains of Geo and PC created this outcome and if different strains would have created a stabilized paste that could withstand your travel (and dizzying amounts of movie watching) plans.  not like we can all have all the strains just waiting in our freezers for us though.  good luck on the next make!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:57 AM »
What temperature did you leave it at? Maybe a lower temp to really slow it down would have helped.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

JeffHamm

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »
I think the main problem was the cheese didn't drain fully, and the geo took off right at the start.  The moulds were harvested from a bought cheese, which I've had success with in the past.   Anyway, I had moved them in to our regular fridge, but I didn't take the temp.  Probably around 4 C though.  I pitched these.  There was just too much stuff to do upon our return that trying to salvage some cheese juice seemed to rank low on my priority list (the lack of sleep also helped shift that into the too hard basket). :)

- Jeff

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:01 AM »
(the lack of sleep also helped shift that into the too hard basket). :)

- Jeff
LOL
Been there done that   O0
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
My condolences, Jeff. I have experienced that same liquidy result in my second Taleggio attempt. Little comfort for you, but I know how disappointing it is. :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
that does suck Jeff. loosing the time and money/milk etc. brings you down :'(
As they say never give up,never surrender (actually I don't remember who said that ;))
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/