Author Topic: My First English (Traditional) Cheddar  (Read 2755 times)

Likesspace

My First English (Traditional) Cheddar
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
Like the title says, this is my first attempt at an English or Traditional Cheddar cheese.
I've made several batches of Stirred Curd and one batch of Farmhouse, but never felt like I was ready to take the next step.
Well this weekend I decided to give it a go.
This was due to finally getting a Ph meter and finding a recipe that gave Ph readings at different points in the recipe. I found this to be a fascinating process and have posted some information in the "Cheese Making Equipment" forum.
I have to say that I am really happy with the outcome of this wheel.
It is made from 3 gallons of 2%, 1 gallon of whole and 24 oz. of whipping cream.
The milk is store bought, as is (obviously) the whipping cream.
One thing that I found quite amazing about this cheese is that it actually pressed together.
At the end of the salting stage of the recipe I had these 1" - 2" square chunks of cheese that were quite cool, if not bordering on cold.
While loading them into the press I told my wife that it would be a miracle if they actually knitted together. Well folks I guess miracles do happen because this is one of the nicest cheese wheel surfaces I've gotten.
Anyway, I don't want to bore everyone with how I've saved the free world by making this cheese.  ;D
Hope you enjoy the photos.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: My First English (Traditional) Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:24 AM »
Wow Looks Good Dave, better than mine. I'll take the cheese away I gave you earlier.LOL

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:51:23 AM »
Dave, very nice cheese!  How long did it take you roughly start to finish (in the press)?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:43:13 AM »
Dave where did you get that top mesh for draining?

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:11:22 PM »
that REALLY looks nice.  Very neat and tidy.

But there is that mottled look again.  I wonder what that is.

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:08:22 AM »
Guys, thanks. I'm proud of this one since it's my first attempt.

Carter: The mesh came from or local Wal mart store in the craft department.
I doubt that it's food grade plastic but I'm hoping it is still safe to use. It's ridiculously cheap so I decided to give it a try. The squares are a little bit small though.

Ryan: I haven't looked at my notes, but I would guess that it was 9 hours from adding the culture to the first stage of pressing. This is what I consider to be a 12 hour cheese since by the time you can put it into it's first 12 hour pressing, 12 hours have passed. Does that make sense?

Wayne: I also noticed the mottled look and I'm honestly not sure what causes it.
I would say that it is from the annatto coloring not fully developing in all of the curds but I saw the same thing in my parmesan and no coloring was added.
I remember you saying that your cheddars turn out the same way, so honestly I was happy to see it. It made me think that I must have done something right. :-)

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »
The think the color comes from curds that are stuck out a miniscule amount more than the others thereby holding in more water and looking whiteish. Like when you get out of the bath and your fingers are white and puffy. This is an assumption as I have this on my good parm and if you look real close, that's what I gathered. Also when my  small parm was in the new cave before I knew it didn't work water had dripped all over the top and made it white as a ghost.