Author Topic: Hello from State College PA  (Read 1518 times)

mozsticks

Hello from State College PA
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm 24 years old, and recently graduated with a degree in civil engineering. Its taking a while to find a job in my field, so I thought taking up Cheesemaking as a hobby to pass the time would be fun and rewarding.

I have been taking in alot of information about the art and science of cheesemaking from books, and web videos/pages and have already learned alot, but havnt really had the opportunity to put that knowledge into practice yet. I have only made 2 batches (and one failed attempt at Mozzarella), and still dont have some of the essential equipement needed (Its pricey!). However I hope to practice and learn to make great cheese.

Off the subject of cheese, Im on a swim team, and like playing online video games. When I have time on the weekends I love goin out with friends, and other normal person stuff lol.

hope to become a part of this community

MOZ  ???

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Re: Hello from State College PA
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:03 AM »
Hi Moz

This is a great place to learn about cheese making!

When my daughter was a kid I tried to get her interested in looking at and identifying rocks. She could have cared less. Now 15 years after getting her MS in civil engineering she works for a large company that designs tunnels that go under existing buildings (and the buildings don't fall down).  Now she knows all about dirt and rocks!

mozsticks

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
That is awsome!!

My interest was originally in tunnels... but since graduation, my interest is in anything that will get my career started. lol.

If worse comes to worse, maybe I can get really good at this cheese making skill/art/science, and start my own buisiness!

I just cant wait to get totally into this. I think the one essential piece of equipement im missing is a PH monitor... I think that is what screwed up my mozzarella batch.

anyway, thanks for the reply!

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
Moz, I would say that's not a 'if worse comes to worse' situation you're describing there! ;)

mozsticks

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »
haha. true. But i love engineering and would love to be able to do both.