Author Topic: Farmhouse Cheddar III  (Read 1313 times)

SpunkyAmos

Farmhouse Cheddar III
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Hi all,

Yesterday, I attempted Farmhouse Cheddar for the 3rd time.  The first two tries had varying results but I felt with this batch, the process went much smoother.   :)

Yet by the photo below, taken at 2:15am this morning when I took it out of the press, you'll see I could use a little advice....

1.  What prevents curds from knitting together?  did I stir it too much every 5 minutes while increasing temp from 90-100?  did I mill the curds too small / too long?  or maybe its a pressing problem? (which is my guess)

When I press, there are the curds in the cheesecloth, then 1 layer of cheesecloth, then a small multilayered piece of parchment paper in the center, then the follower.  This time, though, we flopped the extra cheesecloth on top of the follower, and pressed down (with the little wooden block) on that.  I realize we shouldn't have, not ideal.  But would that have affected the pressing that much?

2.  The follower by thecheesemaker.com that I acquired with the press has a round-headed screw in the middle of the follower.  If I don't put in the parchment paper, the head of the screw leaves an indentation and black mark on the top of the cheese.  What is this for?  why wouldn't it be flush with the edge of the follower to prevent this?  how do I work around it, without making another follower? 

3.  What causes the center of my cheese to slump in so much?    do I need to pack the curds into the press more firmly, or evenly?

Sorry, I am poor at describing things!  Hope you all can catch on anyway.  I'll attach a photo and my worksheet. 

With using a basic recipe, and living in a dairy-loving family with an endless supply of raw Brown Swiss milk in our backyard, this cheese will likely be cut into within a week.  Not the way the pros operate, but it works for us  :D until I can be brave enough to try aging and waxing.

Thanks for your help!
Amy.

Dorchestercheese

Re: Farmhouse Cheddar III
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
How many times did flip the cheese while you press it?
10lbs is not enough pressure.  What does your recipe say? I would also keep it 'warm' while pressing. Go at least to 25lbs.
I'd try pressing now.

panamamike

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
Amy,
The cheese press you have, I see there is no way of knowing how much pressure you put on the cheese. I would recommend you buy or make a Dutch Style press. I bought the Dual cheese press that Steve sells. It will press one to four cheeses at a time and is well worth it sense I am not fiscally able to make one myself. Many people on the Forum have made there own. Just a suggestion.

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:04:08 AM »
Thank yous for your suggestions.

My press is a Sturdy Press, and I have the charts and info that came with it that shows how to calculate the pressing weight.

This is the third time using the same recipe, the second time the cheese came out quite smooth so the original 15 minutes at 4-5 lbs and then 12 hours at 10-12 lbs seemed to do something fine my second time.

How do you keep it "warm" while pressing?

I'm not able to press again at this time, so I'll let it dry and enjoy it for what it is  :)  maybe tomorrow I'll be able to make another batch.  I'll be sticking with the same recipe so I can get more comfortable with the process.

Thank you,
Amy.

Thewitt

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 01:13:24 AM »
My Farmhouse Cheddar pressing weights...

Press for 10 minutes at 10#
Flip the cheese and press for 10 minutes at 20#
Flip the cheese and press for 12 hours at 50#

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »
Keep the room.warm or the surrounding area. I've tried on the stove top with the oven on low temp. Anything I can think of to keep it warm. Looks to me it just needs higher press weight should close it.

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
thank you for your suggestions!

does anyone have any thoughts on the follower and screw issue?   oh, I guess I should just contact thecheesemaker.com myself!

thanks,
Amy.

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
Fairly sure the screw is plugging a hole used in a screw and spring style press. I have a screw and spring style press I use sometimes and the follower has a hole in the centre for the screw to go down thru I had to adjust my screw length so it didn't stick down into the cheese and make black marks also. You can probably just take the screw out of the follower if you are using a Dutch style press it will just leave a little knob you can cut off later

SpunkyAmos

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
thank you!