Author Topic: Miracle Orange Cheese  (Read 962 times)

garbetsp

Miracle Orange Cheese
« on: May 11, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
I have read from numerous sources that orange cheese does not exist without dye. I present to you 2 wheels of aging cheese that have turned orange. A Manchego (left) style with cow's milk and a cheddar (right). Both aged about 3 months, made from very rich high fat pasture fed Jersey's. The Machego style was brined, and both were 30 days brine washed with cheese cloth for any mold that appeared. They have both now turned orange, which is said not to exist.

I suspect the internal of the cheese is just still the rich yellow of pasture fed milk.

River Bottom Farm

Re: Miracle Orange Cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
Looks like a nice bacterial linnens rind. AC4U

garbetsp

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »

Thewitt

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:41:32 AM »
Orange cheese that's NOT from a rind comes from the character of the milk. Same as yellow butter.

Milk from Cheddar England aged into yellow cheese, which caused other "cheddar" makers to die their cheese to match.  The grass and clover mix these cows fed on was high in beta-carotene, which resulted in a yellow cheese once aged.

Cheese makers in other regions died their milk to match, in the first case of food being colored to make it appear more rich and higher in quality.