Author Topic: pressure scale/regulator  (Read 798 times)

Offline dogbuckeye

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
pressure scale/regulator
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
Hi....I'm new to making hard cheeses and am looking to buy a cheese press.  Any advice on what is best?  We're looking to make 2 gallon batches at a time.  How important is having a built-in cheese regulator/scale on the press?  Besides reading pressure from springs (easy?), I only found one press that has a built in regulator:  http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/48-Cheese-Press-with-5-FREE-Cultures-C1-C101-C2-C201-C21-.html

I'm tempted to make my own using PVC (how healthy is that?), etc. but that would utilize a spring for pressure.

One press I found is all stainless steel, including the mold and seemingly the follower: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Gal-DELUXE-CHEESE-MAKING-PRESS-Stainless-EASY-Pressure-System-/190690320619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c660760eb

Having stainless steel valuable/helpful?

Last question....how important is having a press that can go higher than 50lbs of pressure?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline linuxboy

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 199
  • www.wacheese.com
    • Washington Cheese Guild
Re: pressure scale/regulator
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
What kind of cheese? For anything other than milled curd styles, you don't really need a press. If you really want one anyway, an off the wall or lever type press performs best for home use.
Taking an extended leave (until 2015) from the forums to build out my farm and dairy. Please e-mail or PM if you need anything.

Offline Tobiasrer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
I built a home made dutch style, its grea because it comes apart and together easy (6bolts) for storage and its simple to do the math to figure your pressure aplied/weight needed, I think there are even some great tools in some of the threads here that people have made on excel etc. The feed back I have gotten is regulating the pressuure (and maintaing after it expels whey) is dificult with spring type press.

Offline dogbuckeye

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I'm looking to make hard cheeses which require a press.  I'm leaning towards the dutch style because of the pressure issue.  Thanks for the hot tip on tool making!

Offline george (MaryJ)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Home of the Velcro Ocelot
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 05:37:16 AM »
Member smolt1 also makes a fantastic Dutch press for a very nice price.  Been using it for almost a year now and it beats the pants off anything I'd used before that.  Pretty sure the website is sturdypress.com - else you could search the forum to find it. 
If I have to be a grownup, can I at least be telekinetic too?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:34:23 AM »
I can second that product review! I have a sturdy press myself. Does a great job! I have had it up to 10 psi and no problems. Comes with software to help you calculate pressing weights and pressures.