Author Topic: Video(s): Camembert Cheese  (Read 5073 times)

Cheese Head

Video(s): Camembert Cheese
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:23:52 AM »
Guardian UK Newspaper: Fight To Save Camembert (ignore advert)

Australian Cheese Slices TV show video clip of Series 1 Camembert Episode:

Chow.com How To Choose Camembert:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:46:33 PM by Cheese Head/John »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Video(s): Camembert Cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
Short but sweet Very good videos. The link for the fight against was very interesting. That's the way things are, corporate is taking over anything. When the world ends people will want to be at my house.

The fight against video showing the guy making camembert made me drool. His curds were beautiful. Did you see his curd knife, it looked like a prop, it was huge.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »
Yep, his curd knife was like a big sword and he just went at it fast, not careful :D.

The Fight Against video was also interesting for me on pictures of Camembert maker as:

1) At beginning they pour raw milk into a big white polyethylene type bin and later he is ladling it out of same bin, no vat to warm the milk. Recipes that I have show setting temp of only 32-37 °C / 98.6 ºF, maybe they pre-warm the milk?

2) He cut his curd into what looks to me like large 5 cm/2" probably just vertical cuts, no horizontal that I saw.

3) The cut curds when ladled into hoops looked freshly cut, not look de-wheyed. Whereas my Camembert making curds have been somewhat de-wheyed for ~20 minutes and thus while still soft, dryer/firmer, which for me results in vacancies in my Camemberts as the hoops are just turned, no pressing. I think I'll try immediately ladling the cut curds next time.

4) Everything I've read says carefully ladle the curds into the hoops. But in that video, the Camembert maker is just plopping the stuff in!

5) Initial aging for mold growth is on widely ~2 cm / 1" spaced wire racks for better more whole surface mould growth, but also leaves lines on cheese, yet in most store bought packages there are no lines, maybe as cheese is soft, they just disappear when in wrappers and boxes.

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
Very good find John!  I agree with your assessment of the videos as well.  Certainly no real grace in ladling it into the hoops!  I would really like to see how they turn all those hoops!  I guess I know where my next installment of raw milk will be dedicated! :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
Chili (Ryan)

I would really like to see how they turn all those hoops!

Ask and ye shall receive ;D:

Tea

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »
John thanks for those, that was interesting.  Love the cheese turner at the end, that was sweet and simple.

You were wondering how they heated the milk?  If it has come straight from the cow, it doesn't need to be heated, it is already at setting temp or maybe needs to be cooled a little.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
I think I should build one of those...LOL