Author Topic: Measurements  (Read 2740 times)

Tobiasrer

Measurements
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
I havent read this question adresed anywhere yet so I am going to ask:

Does the measurement of the Culture I add make a big difference? I know the rennet and Calcium Chloride can have an impact on taste and...
But does thec amount of my Meso or Thermo matter? part of the reason I ask is I see alot of people are saying they add a little of this or that, so if you need one teaspon are you changing to 3/4 and doing a 1/4 of the addition or just adding willy nilly amounts? am I being to fussy measuring the cultures or could I just sprinkle what looks right and move on?

Thanks!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Measurements
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:46:13 AM »
From my reading here and other sites it is important and affects the finished product in taste, texture &/or looks. (Depending what is being added) eg not enough propioni = small bubbles, too much = large airspaces.
There would be no need for those little 1/8th and 1/16th measuring spoons otherwise.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
Generally if you hear someone say they added just a tad of Geo or PC it is likely 1/32nd tsp or less since those are not the main acidifying cultures and are not needed in a significant amount. Most of my makes are 2-3 gallon and I typically use 1/4 tsp meso or meso/thermo combination. There are times I wonder if 1/4 tsp may be just a tad too much.

jerryg

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
What would be the (undesirable) result of too much starter culture in a soft-ripened cheese?
I've seen many recipes calling for 1/4 tsp meso in only 1 gall of milk.

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) but you may wind up with an overly acidic cheese, one that may ripen sooner than it should with some potential off flavors. I could also affect the texture in unfortunate ways.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure. Obviously i wasnt planning to add a whole package when i am told 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for giving a bit more precise measure of what a 'tad' is! Is there a thread anywhere that has a disc of what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place or am I stuck readin through them all lol? Curious as to why soem one adds a 'tad' of this or that for my own makes.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
Here somethin that might help when you are trying to figure measurement's

Measure Equivalent;

Drop=1/64 tsp.
Smidgen=1/32 tsp.
Pinch=1/16 tsp.
Dash=⅛ tsp.
 Tad=¼ tsp.
3 tsp. = 1 Tbs. = ½ fluid oz.
 4 Tbs. = ¼ cup=2 fluid oz.
5 Tbs. +1 tsp. = 1/3 cup = 3 fluid oz.
8 Tbs. = ½ cup= 4 fluid oz
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

bbracken677

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure. Obviously i wasnt planning to add a whole package when i am told 1/4 tsp.

Thanks for giving a bit more precise measure of what a 'tad' is! Is there a thread anywhere that has a disc of what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place or am I stuck readin through them all lol? Curious as to why soem one adds a 'tad' of this or that for my own makes.

You can do a search in the forum for mother culture...also you might try a search for specific cultures (like flora danica) ... you will get a lot of useless stuff but often will find things that will add to your knowledge base.  I know that MM100 and flora danica have bacteria that add buttery flavor tones...where as like a Kazu, you have a meso and thermo combination which increases nutty flavor(LH100).

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »
What would be the (undesirable) result of too much starter culture in a soft-ripened cheese?
I've seen many recipes calling for 1/4 tsp meso in only 1 gall of milk.

Which cheese? What do you mean by soft ripened? Even families of cheeses have wide variances.

All that makes sense but what about when using a mother culture? Its alot harder I would assume to add an exact amount of the bacteria with a mother culture, then when you are buying freeze dried and can get a near perfect measure.
it's actually the opposite. Much easier to measure with a mother.

what characteristics different culture will bring, kinda all in one place
It is strain specific, not even specie specific. Can you ask about a specific commercial product or strain? There are some metabolic generalities, though, such as a l lactis diacetylactis produces diacetyl and bacilli generally have more endopeptidases that leads to more flavor development potential.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
Kazu, you have a meso and thermo combination which increases nutty flavor(LH100).
Meso/thermo blends may or may not increase nutty flavor, there's a huge range of possibilities. Nuttiness generally is characterized by 2 methylbutanal and/or 2-methylpropanal, as well as, IMHO more importantly, 3-methylbutanal (Maryanne Drake and her team did this work, among others). And the metabolic pathway for it is interestingly enough typically found in select species of l lactis ssp lactis. The helveticus part of Kazu more helps with bitterness control and overall "cheesyness" than outright nuttiness.