Author Topic: Raw milk safety  (Read 9774 times)

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
Re: Raw milk safety
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »
Unless you treat the milk with a gentle process (145F for 30 min), there is little point in buying the milk raw....at least at the price I pay.
That is the 'low temp' method of pasteurization; the 'high temp' method is 15 sec at 165F
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 02:20:31 AM »
Yeah, my raw milk is $7.00 a gallon.  Store bought is $2.50.

Wow! $2.50 a gallon!? Milk here where I live is close to $4.00 a gallon- and we are the number one diary producing state in the nation! Sometimes it drops down closer to $3.00 but it is usually about $3.70. Creamline milk at Trader Joes is about $3.50 per half gallon (That is what I usually get for cheesemaking). Last time I looked into getting raw milk for cheese making was about 4 or 5 years ago. Local dairies wanted around $8 or $9 a gallon as I recall. I vaguely remember it being more at the health food store (Raw milk is legal and not heavily regulated in CA by the way).

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
Do consider that the israeli p-holstein breed are some of the highest yeilding cows globally producing about 30(?) L\day (but unfortunatlly produce milk that it is only 2.8-3% fat on avarage) so quality suffers to keep yeild high and make a profit.
Also most of the local dairy market is based on fairly low fat products (high moisture lactic cheeses, cottege cheese,low fat yogurt,flavored sweet custurds for kids,very little butter and cream) so I suppose they are well "designed" to supply this market.

margaretsmall

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »
International travellers comment on the high price of food in Australia and if these milk prices are typical they are right. A year or so ago the two major supermarkets started a price war on milk which now sells (under their own brand) for $1 per litre, which is about $4 per gallon. All the other brand names are considerably more. Its all P/H of course. The cheapest unhomogenised milk I can buy is $7.50 for 4 litres. The alternative is organic milk which starts at $2.75 per litre. I'm paying $3 per litre for raw goats milk (don't tell anyone, its illegal to sell). In the supermarket pasteurised goats milk if $4.75 per litre. The supermarkets have come into a great deal of criticism for forcing the price down, because of the effect on the profitability of dairy farms, but of course we all still buy it.
Margaret