Author Topic: Help?  (Read 2228 times)

xyztal

Help?
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »
So the other day I brought the "Mastering artisan cheesemaking" book by Gianaclis Caldwell and I was so excited that I jumped in to try her "Pholia Farm washed rind cheese".  Followed her recipe but I skipped the SR3 B linen (I got 8L of raw milk but no B linen in hand).  Everything turned out quite nicely til I started washing it with light brine ale wash... I did two wash and then I found out my cheese start getting wet and sticky...

It also smells a bit off (not strong, and if I open the ripening box every now to keep the air flow it seems fine).  Can't quite figure out what caused that 'bruise'-like color.  I used old speckle hen to wash my cheese so could that be it?! 

What should I do?  Should I let the cheese dry out a little bit?  Or did I do something really wrong?

JeffHamm

Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
I'm assuming you're washing with beer and salt?  I've not washed with beer, just brine, but with brine washing you will get b.linens from the wild.  No need to add any.  I would think something similar will happen with beer brine washes.  The rind should smear up (go like a paste) and it will smell, and b.linens gives a red or orange colour.  So, basically, without further information, I would think things are actually going to plan.

- Jeff

xyztal

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
Yes.  The book calls for 2 tsp of salt in 12 oz of ale.  I will wait for another week and see what happens...?

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:31:20 AM »
You will probably first find the rind getting damp and sticky/tacky, but without much if any color happening (perhaps more on the beige side of things if anything), which I think is some yeast action. But this is good, as it preps the rind for b. linens growth down the road, which may not happen for a few weeks. Just keep up the washing to keep the rind moist and prevent drying out or more fuzzy type molds from growing.

xyztal

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
I have eventually decided to throw away the cheese.  The rind hasn't dried out at all (I open the container every day to let it air out a bit) and the cheese has split because it's oozing too much.  *sob*  I think my cheese was a bit too thin to start - yesterday it looked like a slimy pancake rather than ripening cheese... The color hasn't changed at all either in the past week.

Oh well - lesson to learn.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »
Did you taste any of it before throwing out?  I've seen cracked and oozing cheeses consumed with excitement on this forum.   :D

xyztal

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »
I have indeed (after successfully convinced myself to get past that 'slimy' surface)!  It tasted like a very mild brie...  slightly more crumbly than brie.  It was pleasantly surprised by it.  But there's just no way for me to ripen the cheese further while keeping it intact...!!!  :-[

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »
Sounds tasty and that's all that counts.   ;D  Many people make cheese that fragile on purpose but have containers, strips of bark or whatever to hold them together until they can be enjoyed.