Author Topic: Edam Recipe Please  (Read 1837 times)

Kirkbybil

Edam Recipe Please
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Hi,

Anyone have an Edam recipe they can recommend and post as I'm going to make some cheese tomorrow, something not too demanding timewise and I fancy Edam but don't have a recipe in my book (Rickki's). 

I know there is one on the Site but it says 'generic recipe' so just wanted to see if t has been used successfully as is or if anyone has any tips (I've heard of adding Lipase here!) .

Also I thought Edam was made with Semi-Skimmed ie 2% milk but the recipe here seems to use full-fat.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

KirkbyBil

BobE102330

Re: Edam Recipe Please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
I haven't made the Edam but other "generic" recipes here have worked well. They are also a good starting point for experimentation once you get comfortable with adjusting parameters to make a cheese more your own.

Go for it.  Have fun.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Thanks,

Any views on the milk? Semi-Skimmed 2% or full fat 3.5% (ish)

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
My understanding is that Edam is basically the same make process as Gouda, except that Edam was traditionally made with part-skim milk, and traditionally formed into a ball shape. So otherwise, it is a lower-fat Gouda. Some recipes also call for scalding the rind of the cheese after a little bit of pressing - at the point when you would perform the first or second flip in the press, the cheese is placed in hot water for a few minutes. This helps close the rind but also gives it a slightly different texture.