Author Topic: Triple Cream + Camembert  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Triple Cream + Camembert
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »
Well yesterday I finally got to try a cheese I made.  I used the recipe from the New England Cheese Makers site but added a quart of heavy cream to the milk.  Turned out very buttery and very good, according to those that have tried it.  I'm actually encouraged that I might be doing this all right. LOL

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

High Altitude

Re: Triple Cream + Camembert
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:25:42 AM »
Al!  Those look amazing!  I cannot believe no one replied to this.  A cheese to your 3 beauties  ;D.

I just got supplies to start my cam/brie making adventures next week...yay!  I hope that one day they'll look like yours.

Did you use geo in this make?  My recipe doesn't call for it, but I know it's optional.  Any reason that I should or shouldn't use it, in your opinion?

I will also be adding MD89 (not in the recipe), but hear that adds good buttery flavor.

Wish me luck  ;D!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
Thanks a million!! I have been making these rather thick bries/camemberts for some time now with great success.  I use two gallons of whole milk and two pints of heavy cream to make three cheeses in the 5 1/4" molds.  I add just the most minute speck of geo, about 5 grains with 1/4 teaspoon of SAM 3 PC.  I also use 1/2 rennet tablet.  Other than that the procedure is the same as the 200 Easy Recipes book.  I ladle the curd into the molds in the largest possible lumps. After five days they are quite furry and beautiful at which time I wrap them in cheese paper to age and soften.  It's important to pat down the fur every day and flip them.  I also flip them every day while aging. Here's the link to the first time I did this.  Not much has changed since.  Folks that have tried them love them.  Here are two I am aging at the moment.  About a week left on these.

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
What kind if cream are you using Al?  I've been wanting to add cream to some of my goat cheeses, but all I can find is ultra pasteurized cream in the stores around here.  I've been hesitant to try adding a UP product in a make.  I haven't been able to find info about using UP cream on the forum. 

I'm going to try using the tiniest pinch of geo in my next cam like you suggest.  I've been using geo 13 lately, it's all I have on hand since my geo 17 supply died on me from improper storage I suspect.  The geo 13 seems much more assertive in the 'zing' flavor factor than the 17 was.  Which geo are you using?  What was the reason you decided to reduce geo in your cam makes?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
Go to Albertson's and buy the "Everyday Essentials" cream.  It's pasteurized but not ultra pasteurized.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:06:45 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »
I'm going to try using the tiniest pinch of geo in my next cam like you suggest.  I've been using geo 13 lately, it's all I have on hand since my geo 17 supply died on me from improper storage I suspect.  The geo 13 seems much more assertive in the 'zing' flavor factor than the 17 was.  Which geo are you using?  What was the reason you decided to reduce geo in your cam makes?

I'm using Geo 17.  When I first made these from the recipe on Rikki's site, the original reason for this thread, the cheeses in the photo at the top got hard on the outside and never softened.  That's why the thread died. I found that if I left the geo out they would soften great.  I then experimented a bit and found that about 5-6 grains of the geo 17 gave it a flavor nuance without damaging the softening process.

Spellogue

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
I'll try the same thing with the 13 and see how it goes.  I need to pick up some more 17 on my next artisangeek order.  I haven't ever used 15 yet.

We don't have Albertsons here in Ohio, but I have see the Everyday Essentials brand in the dry goods case at a local grocery.  I'll ask them if they can bring some of the cream into their dairy case. Thanks.

High Altitude

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
Oh good, I got the geo 13.  Still not sure whether to use any on my first try though.  Maybe I'll not use it in the first to make sure it softens well, and then use it in the second make to see if it enhances flavor nuances.

Spellogue, how much do you add to how much milk?

Spellogue

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
For cams I'd been using about 1/64 tsp geo and 1/32 tsp p.c. in a two gallon make.  Results at that rate were always good with the 17 but with the 13 I'm not digging the rind flavor so much.   On my recent St Albray make I ratcheted all the way up to 1/8 tsp PC on Francois's recommendation.  That I figured was so it could compete with the b.l.  I might step up my PC percentage on all my bloomies for a while and see how that works.

At first I thought the flavor was from a change in PC strains.  I was used to ABL and now I'm using VB and SAM.  But really I've come to the conclusion that its the geo because I notice the extra zing in my PC-less Crottin too. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
I've had people remark that the bries I made using geo had a zingy little taste as well.  Not so just using the PC.