Author Topic: 1st Cambozola Need Advice  (Read 16374 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: 1st Cambozola Need Advice
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
Well I don't mind taking one for the team. LOL  Anyway, here we go!  Almost up and running.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:37:13 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »
Okay, up to target temp and the timer is set for the 30 minute ripening period.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
Okay, 90 minutes for the rennet to set and then we'll either see the biggest train wreck in cheese history or something really cool.  Definitely one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.  LOL

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
Okay, definite train wreck. LMAO Not enough rennet evidently.  Without a firm enough curd the mass couldn't maintain its form and simply turned to instant mush under its own weight.  No problem, I'll just start over and use the conventional scooping of the curd. :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:49:58 PM by Al Lewis »

Tomer1

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Did you try to gather a huge curd mase with the mould?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
That target temp (160F) shown is pretty scary. I guess you're really using the current temp (86F), huh? ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Yeah,  Only need the other one for hamburgers.  LOL  Have the second one in the mold.  We'll see how it comes out.  ;D 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
Okay, next morning and the cambozola in the mold has drained nicely, after being flipped on schedule, and is now 8" round X 2" thick.  Have to remove the mold and salt it down today.  ;D  Also have to check on whether to smooth the sides first. :-\
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:59:25 PM by Al Lewis »

bbracken677

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
While I have never made a cambozola, I have made a few cams and normally during draining the mechanical openings are closed due to the moisture level of the initial curds in the mold.

When I make cams I do not cut the curd, just scoop it out and into the mold at which point it drains whey until it is approximately 1/3rd it's original height.   This looks like a very unique way of handling the curd and very interesting one as well....Also...what do you do with the curd that is left inside the pot?

Tomer1

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
I still dont understand how you scoop it out in one go, as its a bottomless mould.   :o
Teach us the trick!  ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »
No trick to it Tomer1, it didn't work. LOL The plan was to insert the mold, place a mat and board on top of it, and then invert the entire pot, over another pot, so you have a huge curd mass in the mold.  However,  the curd is nowhere near firm enough to hold itself together so it all became mush.  The one in the pictures was done in the conventional way by scooping large chunks of curd into the mold.  bbracken677 I'm not sure if it was the large mold I used or what but the sides still have mechanical openings.  Oh well,  more places for the blue mold to take hold and grow. Couldn't find anywhere that said to smooth them over. Went to one of my favorite stores this morning, Cash & Carry.  It's a restaurant supply store for those of you that haven't heard of them. Picked up this great container with draining rack for the cambozola.  Gotta love a place with stuff like that that also sells whole USDA Choice Lip on Ribeyes.  Container has a top that seals so I may have to punch a few wholes in that, or the side og the container, for ventilation but it fits perfect.  They have these things in every size imaginable.  Anyway, the cheese has been salted and we'll see how the white furry stuff does in a few days.  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:47:21 PM by Al Lewis »

rosawoodsii

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Okay, so no one every answered the question about the P. roqueforti.  Does it have to be sprinkled onto the cheese curds or can it be added to the milk?  If it's supposed to be sprinkled, and it gets added instead, what's the result?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
Okay, so no one every answered the question about the P. roqueforti.  Does it have to be sprinkled onto the cheese curds or can it be added to the milk?  If it's supposed to be sprinkled, and it gets added instead, what's the result?

Not to ignore your question,but, I have no idea how it works with Cambozola :-[
I think I have read somewhere you sprinkle as you fill your hoop with curd. not sure though :-\

AL
I really thought you had a great idea  8)
A cheese to you for your persistence ;D
It is looking excelent so far though :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:56 PM »
Thanks H-K-J, After the train wreck, trying to bring it out as one lump of curd, stuff went everywhere, total loss, I started over from scratch and followed my recipe I posted.  Not sure why the curd didn't knit tightly but I suspect it was the huge lumps of curd I was putting into the mold.  At any rate we'll see how it turns out.   ;D  I'll keep posting pics as it progresses. I'm really not all that sure that the p candidum doesn't just cover the holes.

rosawoodsii  I sprinkled it onto the layers as you are supposed to according to the recipes I read.  I suspect if you just mix it in it might interfere with the p candidum and geo.  Not sure, just guessing. ::)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:12:20 PM by Al Lewis »

rosawoodsii

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
I think I'll find out at time goes by.  I made Cambozola a couple of weeks ago and had already added it to the milk before I realized I wasn't supposed to.  Hopefully it'll be a happy accident and not a disaster.