Author Topic: 1st Cambozola Need Advice  (Read 16378 times)

hoeklijn

Re: 1st Cambozola Need Advice
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
Had some blue spots too. In my case I let the white do it's job and the blue spots disappeared.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
Hoping mine do the same on the outside.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Spellogue

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
For what it's worth, I'll describe a related  experiment of my own.

I made a cheese I called "Red, White, and Blue" on 7/4 to serve 9/3 last summer. (Independence Day and Labor Day, Ammie holidays).  I cultured and renneted and cut two separate pots of ND goat milk.  To a one gallon pot I added PC and geo to the milk.  I added powdered PR culture to the 2 gallons of milk in the other pot.  I drained the blue curds and then placed them in a muslin lined tomme mold.  I covered that with a thin, widely spaced layer of rehydrated sun dried tomato strips.  I topped that off by ladling the white curds on top, adding bits of sun dried tomato throughout that layer. I pressed under light weight without flipping.

Once dried I pierced the blue layer all over, extending the skewer half-way into the white layer.  As it ripened the PC growth extended over the exterior of the blue layer, but was spottier than it was over the top of the cheese inoculated with the PC.  I didn't pat down or brush the PC growth at all.  When I cut it I found that the blue veining did not extend into the white curd.  The softening of the blue curd layer from some PC invasion was perceived, but to a lesser extent than in the "red and white" layer.  The different layers were distinctly evident, but had begun to meld noticeably.

It's a bit fussy, but I suppose one could do something similar for a cambozola, burying the blue curd within the white curd when filling the molds, if you didn't mind running two separate make pots at once.  I run two pots with some frequency for layered cheeses out of necessity.  My largest pot suitable for Cheesemaking right now is only two gallons and my tomme mold works best for makes of at least 2-1/2 gal.  Forming curd identically in two pots is near impossible so I usually go for distinct layers, like two different milks in a morbier style cheese.

As for the "Red, White, and Blue" cheese, it was good, but a bit over-ripe at 60 days.  It really should have been eaten between 5-6 weeks.  The tomato was interesting, and I'll likely try something like that again in a simpler cheese like a cam (toward the idea of a champignon).  It was a bit busy in this cheese.  A fun novelty, but a few too many flavor elements at once.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:10:00 PM by Spellogue »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:49 PM »
Well when I ladled the curd into the mold I did so in three layers sprinkling the PR on the top of the first and second layer so it should have two layers of blue veining all things being equal.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
Picked up this great container with draining rack for the cambozola. 

Say Al, what brand is that container?

Maybe it could also be found on line for those who don't have a Cash & Carry nearby.

Thanks!
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
Don't know if they sell on-line but here's the link to the company that makes them.  They are in Huntington Beach CA.

http://cool.cambro.com/

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 07:01:53 AM »
Don't know if they sell on-line but here's the link to the company that makes them.  They are in Huntington Beach CA.

http://cool.cambro.com/

I love Cambro!  I thought it might be from the look of the 'rack'.  I haven't found Cambro to be cheap from the on line sources I've used, so I'll have to check out Cash & Carry for their prices (must go there, the website is too non-specific).

I found a number of plastic containers with bottom racks at IKEA.  The down side is that there is a little curved handle in the middle of the rack to pick it up--we've nipped those off and I buy cheap-o cross stitch/embroidery plastic canvas on line and then cut it to fit on top of the rack.  The lids have a little vent which can be opened for slight modification of humidity.  Very reasonably priced and a number of sizes.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/small_storage/20606/  the ones with the red lids
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

rosawoodsii

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Do all the red-lid containers have a rack?  It doesn't show that in the description.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Cash & Carry sells the containers in three pieces, the container, the lid, and the drain rack.  I bought 6 of the drain racks, that fit my shelves in my cave, and use them under my cheeses with a paper towel to drain.  This, along with another plastic square panel, keeps them above the cooling coils in the shelves.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
No Cash and Carry stores around here.  :(  Oh, well.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
Do all the red-lid containers have a rack?  It doesn't show that in the description.

If you are asking about the ones from IKEA, I'm not sure, but certainly a large rectangular one (bigger than a big shoebox) and a small rectangular one (smaller than a shoebox) do

Cambro can be purchased on line, mostly through restaurant suppliers.  You don't have to have a C&C, although I can't say how prices compare.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
The Cambro site has a link to put you in touch with one of their distributors.

http://cool.cambro.com/find_a_rep/find_a_rep_usa.aspx

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: 1st Cambozola
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
Well I'm still waiting for a full bloom on my Cambozola.  Other side looks the same.  It is increasing and I'm hoping it gets fully covered soon.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 02:32:10 AM »
Getting much better bloom and pierced it.  Have to air it each day now I guess.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
WOW!!!! I am alittle intimidated by this cheese would love to try one :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/