Author Topic: Brandnetel's White Mold Cheese #3 / Washed Rind  (Read 12870 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Brandnetel's White Mold Cheese #3 / Washed Rind
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
Well, actually I was only saying that because I used the word "neophyte" last week and Boofer had had to look that up too!  :D
Neophyte wasn't new to me...just the main thrust of the dialogue. And by the way, I'll be getting my new shipment of umbrage in sometime this week, so Schnecken you can have some of mine. :)

-Boofer-

:D  :D :D. I enjoy the humor here.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Yes they are literary comics? :) ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

OudeKaas

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
Well, I didn't intent to spark vocabulary drama with my innocent comment about our friends from the southern hemisphere! Heh heh fun to see though.

So, anyhow, I have one cheese left from this batch now. It has been living in a tupperware container in the bottom of my main fridge for the last month or so. It still smells like gnarly sweatsocks crossed with dirty diapers, and the surface is a little moist. The outermost edges of the rind have become dry and dark brown. It feels firmer and more solid somehow, I wonder what has become of the interior since the others were so custardy a few weeks back.

I'm going to give it a try this weekend and see how it has progressed. It is now 12 weeks or ~3 months from the make day.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
It still smells like gnarly sweatsocks crossed with dirty diapers, and the surface is a little moist.
I'll have to go to the market and ask for that! :o

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

OudeKaas

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
So . . . I have like one of these left that has dwelled in the back of my fridge for a while. It's just over 4 months old now. The rind has become amber all over and dark brown at the edges, it looks kind of scary. Still smells moderately stinky and I can't really tell whether this is just proper B. Linens funk or yucky thing I found in the back of the fridge DO NOT EAT warning sign from nature.

I took it out of the fridge today to think about tasting it before discarding. Here are some pics of the appearance. It does not smell of ammonia, but I just have a feeling this could be a ticket to a stomach ache or worse . . .

UPDATE: OK so I gave in to temptation and cut it open. The interior looked moderately promising, the formerly gooey paste had solidified into something the looked kinda gouda-like. So I cut a little piece, and it even smelled alright if pungent. But when I put it in my mouth it was immediately obvious that this had gone over the edge and was putrid. So I spit it out without ill effect. At least I know definitively that this is a goner, and can part company with it with a clear conscience . . . . . :-) Follow up photos:"

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:18:46 PM by Brandnetel »

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
A cheese to your bravery and determination!  That does look rather off putting.  A shame it had turned, as it would be such a great story if it was the most fantastic tasting cheese.  Oh well, eat the next one sooner. :)

- Jeff