Author Topic: My First Swiss  (Read 15803 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: My First Swiss
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:59 AM »
Opened my Jarlsberg tonight.  Not happy with the holes but the taste is spot on.  Just a tiny bit grainy though.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Alpkäserei

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
Well without knowing any more, I would guess the cheese to be slightly over acidified. Maybe don't keep it warm as long in the press to prevent this.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »
Thanks Alp.  It was a first try so I'm fairly happy with the results.  We will have extensive talks before I try again. LOL  The Ementaler comes out of the wax next. :o

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
Wow, two and a half months seems a little short on aging!

IMHO, I would expect an Emmentaler to go at least six and maybe twelve months. Also curious about the level of PS, time in the warm period, finally... salt level and time in brine. Was this one that had a teaspoon of PS in four gallons milk (re: Ricki Carroll)?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Followed Rikki Carroll's recipe from her site Boofer.  http://www.cheesemaking.com/Jarlsburg.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:20:28 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Opened my Jarlsberg tonight.  Not happy with the holes but the taste is spot on.  Just a tiny bit grainy though.
At least you got holes Al ;D I wonder if the graininess would go away with more ageing :-\
How old is your Emmentaler? mine is slightly over 14 weeks and am getting antsy :o

Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
I believe I made these a day apart.  The Jarlsberg calls for 3-4 months but I believe the emmentaler called for longer aging.  Alp says the graininess is caused by a slight acidity problem.  I re-waxed half of this cheese and will let it age longer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:18:21 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 03:28:50 AM »
Well I finally broke down and opened my emmentaler tonight because, well, I needed some emmentaler.  Bottom line is it's not emmentaler.  Tastes good but nothing like the emmentaler I'm use to buying from the store.  Not even close to that distinct taste. Texture is right, salt is right, taste is way off.  Holes are virtually non-existent. No idea what happened but I would definitely like some advice, read as recipe, for a 6 gallon emmentaler from Alp, if he would be so kind.  Emmentaler is one of the main reasons I wanted to learn to make cheese.  :( 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:49:49 AM by Al Lewis »

mbox

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:58 AM »
Hi Al ,Sorry to hear and i am facing a similar issue...it ain't swelling...it is now almost 3 weeks in the "warm" area for swelling but nothing does happen...it smells great though . I used the recipe from 200 recipes and funnily my last attempt of swiss came right . with holes (ok not huge holes but they were ok) . So after 3 weeks what should i do...back in the cooler cave for aging or wait longer in the warm area for the swelling to come?

I guess my emmenthal without holes would be a Gruyere ?  :o

Thanks for your valued suggestions,

mbox

Reino

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Hi Al!

Sorry for your emmentahl. Could you tell me what are you doing to achieve this "no-hole" state. The reason me asking this is that I've been trying to make alpkäse with many failures along the way. No matter what I do, I have excellent swelling and holes appearing from left and right! :) Even without any PS. Have been reading the threads from alpkäserei and doing everything as he has adviced.

I'm using raw milk and since everything else has been taken care of, I'm suspecting there is some natural bacteria present in the milk. Which by itself is not bad, it doesn't give any bad taste or smell to cheese, just annoying when you're trying hard to achieve as few holes as possible.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
Hi Reino. You should really start your own thread to get the most effective responses to your predicament.

I would say that you could make sure that you aren't giving the cheese a Warm Phase and make sure that the salt level is adequate. PS does not work its eyes/holes magic if too much salt is around. Sounds like your milk has naturally-occurring Propionic shermanii.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Reino

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
Thanks Boofer, I'll do that.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
 :'( Dang Al what are we doin wrong? everything seems so right and then :P
The wait and anticipation, then, disappointment :(
I realy thought with the swelling you got that this would have eyes.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Me too.  This thing doesn't even have a hint of the "swiss" flavor either.  We need to have a long talk with Alp.  I don't get it as the Jarlsberg tasted fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:33:08 PM by Al Lewis »

mbox

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:44 AM »
Me too.  This thing doesn't even have a hint of the "swiss" flavor either.  We need to have a long talk with Alp.  I don't get it as the Jarlsberg tasted fine.

I made my third jarlsberg and  while the first one did not swell it was still good in taste and a bit like a tilsiter with emmenthal-ish taste. I have currently a worrying jarlsberg in the warm area for swelling...the reason what worries me was the fact that with heavy pressing it almost appeared to be swelling !! taken out from pressing it was looking bigger than before pressing and light like a sponge i do see it swells and i can't say that it really smells like emmenthal ( or jarlsberg), so i guess something like you guys have troubling you too  - i guess i will wait and see as its still early , but i am rather pessiimistic about this jarlsberg...

mbox