Author Topic: My First Swiss  (Read 15842 times)

Alpkäserei

Re: My First Swiss
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 03:30:02 AM »
a true emementaler imade the right (traditional) way is difficult to master, especially with no first hand experience from a master
so dont be discouraged by failurs in the learning stage
my suspicion for these is over-acidification as i have said before. the acid will keep ps from growing. there are a few ways we can deal with this
shorten the brewing time bettween cutting the curd and warming the curd. this will result in less acid. shorten until it works, this may take a few tries. i have noticed many swiss cheese recipes omit this stage completely, which i dont endorse

do not press in warm whey after initial knit is achieved. i.e. only press in whey fro first 2 or at most 3 pressings (even our large alpkäse, for which acidification is no major issue, are uncovered after the 3rd oor 4th flip.

rif acid is indeed the problem, which makes sense, then shorting the time factor of any stage after the curd is cut will help
also increasing the cooking temp helps this, it kills off secondary acid bacteria but leaves the ps.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:20 AM »
Thanks a million Alp. ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

mbox

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
a true emementaler imade the right (traditional) way is difficult to master, especially with no first hand experience from a master
so dont be discouraged by failurs in the learning stage
my suspicion for these is over-acidification as i have said before. the acid will keep ps from growing. there are a few ways we can deal with this
shorten the brewing time bettween cutting the curd and warming the curd. this will result in less acid. shorten until it works, this may take a few tries. i have noticed many swiss cheese recipes omit this stage completely, which i dont endorse

do not press in warm whey after initial knit is achieved. i.e. only press in whey fro first 2 or at most 3 pressings (even our large alpkäse, for which acidification is no major issue, are uncovered after the 3rd oor 4th flip.

rif acid is indeed the problem, which makes sense, then shorting the time factor of any stage after the curd is cut will help
also increasing the cooking temp helps this, it kills off secondary acid bacteria but leaves the ps.

Gruezi Alpkaese, excellent info, herzlichen dank,

mbox

Chaneygoats

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 02:35:54 AM »
Al I hope you see this I too have just attempted my first Swiss using the same recipe. However the curds did not combine during the pressing and I was curious if you had that issue and was why you did the first 2 15 minutes in the whey

Thanks Gene

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
No, mine combined just fine.  Just didn't get the holes but I didn't do the "warm period" properly on the first one.  When I did it the second time it came out great.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos