Author Topic: Mold removal  (Read 919 times)

Offline Tobiasrer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Mold removal
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
I read a lot that people use a brush to remove mold, I know to some it may seem a silly question but....
What Kind of brush do you use, and in what technique, especialy with more stubborn molds?
I have a Gruyere aging its starting to ger a red and orange rind but I am getting some greeish fuzy mold that doesnt wipe off easy, and some brown that doesnt wipe at all. My recipe calls for a salt brine, but I find its already moist from the rind molds I want and adding more from the brine gets kinda messy, and isnt really working anyways!
Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline BobE102330

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • chilihead/cheesehead
Re: Mold removal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
I use a vegetable brush.  I have one with soft bristles and another with stiffer bristles, depending on how stubborn the unwanted mold is.  Sometimes I find I need a knife to scrape off stubborn molds -  remove as little rind as possible with the bad mold. 

For slimy mold removal I find I need to rinse the brush regularly.  I wash with brine after brushing down the mold. 

Hope this helps

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

I use something simmilar to this.   if the mold has penetrated deeper (cought it a bit too late) - as bob said, you may need to use a sharp tool to scoop it out. 
You can even use a stiff toothbrush if you need a Precision tool.  ^-^

Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Offline stratocasterdave

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
I uses a piece of cheese cloth instead of a brush.  I use some vinegar and salt and rub with my fingers.  The salt alts like an abrasive on the hardier molds.