Author Topic: Sour Smell Question, New Caerphilly  (Read 1261 times)

rolsen99

Sour Smell Question, New Caerphilly
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »
I attempted to make another Caerphilly due to the success of my first.  But, I tried following some PH markers that I found on the site.  Anyway, the make went well with temps and PH.  I then had to go to Mexico for a few days.  My beautiful wife volunteered to flip it a couple times a day for me at room temp to dry it out a bit while I was gone.  She washed and sterilized her hands every time.

So when I got home, I smelled it before going into the cave, and it smells kind of sour.  Not a good cheese sour, but a infected unfriendly sour.  Different from the other cheeses I have made.  I know smells are tough to describe, and even tougher to diagnose without smelling it first hand, but I figured I would give it a shot.  There is no mold, or any visual defects.

It reminds me of an American Muenster that we used buy at the grocery store (Dairy Fresh?).  Occasionally we would buy it, get it home, and a few day later notice the packaging wasn't air tight, take a whiff, and it has that sour / bad smell and taste.  If I remember correctly, this smell is almost exactly the same.

Any thoughts?  I know it's a long shot.  It would be my first found failure out of 8 or 9, so not bad if I has to trash it.

bbracken677

Re: Sour Smell Question, New Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:09:42 AM »
Could the smell possibly be described as "stinky feet" sort of smell?

If so, it is likely a b.linens growth on the outside of the cheese. You can let it go to add to the flavor of the cheese...or you can dip it in a brine solution for a half hour and then take it to your cave once the rind is fairly dry to the touch.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:13:40 AM »
My caerphilly had a slight sour smell, more in line with feet, doesn't make a dang bit of difference, after 6 weeks it is yummmmy ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

rolsen99

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:32:25 AM »
More noob paranoia it sounds like, thanks!