Author Topic: What do you get when you're in a hurry?  (Read 1783 times)

rosawoodsii

What do you get when you're in a hurry?
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
I started out making Camembert, but instead of adding P. Candidum and leaving out the Geotricum, I added Geo and left out the P. Candidum.  I really have to make sure the entire name of the culture is showing when I measure.  Never discovered my error until I had added the rennet and was well on my way to setting curd.  Anyone else every done this?  Will the cheese develop a different taste or ripen differently, or....

I can only be thankful it was a one gallon batch, and my goats now have access to a one-acre green lawn so I'll have more milk tonight. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: What do you get when you're in a hurry?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
I would think, from what little I've read, that the result sill be a yellowish skin without the following white fluff expected on camembert.  I believe the p candidum also contains the enzymes that make the cheese soft but could be wrong.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
You can spray or wipe the pc on after the cheese has drained and is out of the mold.  No need to worry...You can do daily or every other day wipes of pc (sprayed on is recommended) for the first few days and should be fine.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
bbracken667, what do you mix the PC with to make the spray, milk or water?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
You can spray or wipe the pc on after the cheese has drained and is out of the mold.  No need to worry...You can do daily or every other day wipes of pc (sprayed on is recommended) for the first few days and should be fine.
Ah!  Thank you.   do have a little spray bottle and will mix some P. candidum up posthaste.

This must be a reminder, not only to slow down, but also to remember that there's more than one way to do things.