Author Topic: Schabzieger  (Read 1497 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Schabzieger
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
A client mentioned this cheese to me today, and I wondered if anyone has tried to make it, or knows where it might be found. It is apparently Swiss....
Susan

Alpkäserei

Re: Schabzieger
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:17:33 AM »
It is 'Schabziger' and it is part of the Swiss tradition of a cheese called 'Ziger'
Ziger is made with the whey after a good cheese has been made, similar to ricotta. The whey is cooked to 90 degrees Celsius, then strong lactic acid is added to curdle any solids in it. The mass is then skimmed out and hung to drip off any excess liquid. It is OK if you are used to it, not much flavor.

Apparently, Schabziger is made with the added sap of a certain plant which makes it green, and is used as a spread. I have never had it. All I have had is plain Ziger, hung and smoked.

bodul

Re: Schabzieger
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
It is 'Schabziger' and it is part of the Swiss tradition of a cheese called 'Ziger'
Ziger is made with the whey after a good cheese has been made, similar to ricotta. The whey is cooked to 90 degrees Celsius, then strong lactic acid is added to curdle any solids in it. The mass is then skimmed out and hung to drip off any excess liquid. It is OK if you are used to it, not much flavor.

Apparently, Schabziger is made with the added sap of a certain plant which makes it green, and is used as a spread. I have never had it. All I have had is plain Ziger, hung and smoked.

Try to do ricotta without acid( or reduce it)..you will se result..very surprised and very soft....