Author Topic: Farmhouse Cheddar success  (Read 1505 times)

sofusryge

Farmhouse Cheddar success
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
I crafted a Farmhouse Cheddar per Gavin Webber's recipe a couple of Month ago. I cut it open last sunday, and found it to be really good. It had a few mechanical openings, which i guess a cheddar should not have, but i don't mind, i think it looks kind of nice. Tastewise it was really good. Mildly cheddar'ish, creamy, a little brittle (but not crumbly), slightly acidic and a good salt balance. All in all a good result for a cheese that is exceedingly easy and fast to make (around 4 hours from start to press). I will age half the cheese for yet a month or two, just to find out if it's worth the waiting.

Recipe:

10 liters of whole milk
3/4 tsp calciumchloride
1/8 tsp meso (unspecific type that i bought from a local supplyer)
3/8 tsp calf rennet
1 tbsp salt

I really didn't deviate much from the make as described at Gavins website (littlegreencheese.com). I used a hoop with a diameter of 16 cm, which gives a nice form-factor with 10 liters of milk.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:07:16 PM by sofusryge »

bbracken677

Re: Farmhouse Cheddar success
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
did you wax it? how did you age it? 

Nice job!  A cheese for you!   :)

sofusryge

Re: Farmhouse Cheddar success
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the cheese  :)

Yes, it is waxed. I use semitransparent wax (i think it's the way it looks when it's not colored), it's the cheapest around here, and i can spot problems under the wax before they escalate. I aged it in the cave at 9,5-15 Celsius (average about 13 Celsius) for just about 2 month.