Author Topic: First Cheese, Caerphilly  (Read 3432 times)

rolsen99

First Cheese, Caerphilly
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:23:04 AM »
First hard cheese make!  Recipe based on Tim Smith's recipe in "Making Artisan Cheese".  Used my home built press and getting ready to go in the cave.   The cave is running a steady 55 F, with 85 % humidity for the last week.

The make went well, yet not perfect.  Temp got a few degrees high prior to clean break, and took a while to bring down.  I also have a feeling I pressed with a few too many pounds, I need to dial in the press.

The cheese has been on the counter-top for about 60 hours now.  The sides are getting nice and dry, but the ends are somewhat moist.  Is this normal?  You can see it fairly well in the pictures.  How dry should the top and bottom be before it goes in cave?.....Thanks for looking!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: First Cheese, Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:47 AM »
I did two colby's with those basic proportions and the ends on those stayed damp a lot longer then the sides also.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

rolsen99

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
After looking at it this morning, it looks the the "dryness" is beginning to creep around the ends.

What are the issues with putting it in the cave too early, versus letting it dry too long?

I have first-hard-cheese paranoia going on here  :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
I sit my hard cheeses out for 4 or 5 days.  The faces will be damp, but not wet.  I cut into my caerphilly at 3 weeks, so don't fret it too much.  It looks good.  Well done.

- Jeff

rolsen99

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies....I feel better now :)

rolsen99

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:34 AM »
One lonely cheese, preparing for Christmas  :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:15:45 AM »
How much milk were in this make?  What kind of milk?  it looks good.  You commented on my Caerphilly #7 post that you liked my cheese's proportions better than yours.  My first 2 Caerphillys were more like this one of yours and they tasted great! 

rolsen99

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:36:20 AM »
I used two gallons of premioum P/H milk.  We can't get fresh milk here, so I am a bit limited.

rolsen99

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
Well, my first hard cheese has been cut.  My wife and I love it.  Not sure how to describe it....but it's yummy, salty, somewhat creamy, not too crumbly, goodness.  Hopefully that is technical enough  ;D

Merry Christmas!  Thanks to all those who helped.  It makes me truly look forward to the other 6 that are currently aging.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
That's a nice result for the season!  It should have a bit of a tang to it, but not unpleasant sourness.  Well done, and a cheese to you for your success.  This is  a great cheese to practice your skills on as the quick turn around gives you feedback rapidly enough to allow you to improve it over a short period.

- Jeff

rolsen99

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
Jeff, it does have a nice, subtle tang to it.  I am surprised at how good it is.  It exceeded my expectations.

Missy Greene

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 03:22:00 AM »
 I did a goat milk Caerphilly, however i  coated it with wax..bees wax. Aged it 4 weeks, not sure how I felt about it, so put it in the fridge to try in an other week...the bees wax aroma flavors the cheese a bit which is nice...Have another one aging longer...started them on Thanksgiving. Comments??? will post pic when I take it out again... only problem with the beeswax is that it is fragile and falls off easily.
Missy

rolsen99

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »
I was very happy with mine, but don't have much to compare it to  ::).  I am not sure if I will wax my next one, but do plan to age it out another week or two just for comparison.  Although, from what I have read on this site, I think many people stick to the 3 or 4 week aging time.