Author Topic: Found a Press I really Like  (Read 8851 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Found a Press I really Like
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
Found this press today and called and talked to the guy that makes them.  My 8" mold will fit into this thing and it will put 200 pounds on the follower.  Saves me the trouble of making one.

http://www.cabarrusfarms.com/
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tobiasrer

Re: Found a Press I really Like
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
Thats very similiar to what I built.
Have you looked at the Sturdy press? I dont know who builds it off hand but it is used by alot of people on the forum and is capable of some pretty high pressures as well.
I like the one I built because it comes apart easy for storage, with only 6 bolts to remove. I plan to build a bigger one when I get some bigger molds, I think I will make it to do either one large or a couple small all at once.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:38:30 PM »
 I have the sturdypress made my Smolt1  http://sturdypress.com/ and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It can easily hold an 8" mold and comes with software to figure pressures/psi vs weight hung off the lever. It will calculate the psi for you or you can plug in a psi, along with mold size for how much weight to hang.

The one you linked looks to be about the same size. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:06:50 AM »
Very nice.

stinkymccheese

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
Al,  Now that you have used your press for awhile are you happy with it?  I've been using my simple homemade press for some time now and am ready to buy a press that will allow for heavier pressing weights.

Anything you would do different if you were to purchase another press?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »
I think I would have a harder look at the sturdy press. http://sturdypress.com/  It costs less and will handle a lot more weight.  The one I bought is very nice and very well made but only goes to 200 pounds.  Not sure I'll ever need more but it would be nice to be able to press heavier if I had to.  With that said I really didn't like the bucket idea on the sturdy press.  Also did not like the lack of a pad or foot on the vertical arm.  Looks like it would destroy a follower in short time.  Needs a round foot to disburse the weight more IMHO.

stinkymccheese

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
I gave the Sturdy Press a look and I think its a toss up, I doubt that I will need any more than 200 lbs of pressing weight either.

The dutch press looks like it comes with a mold and wooden follower so at least there is some added value for the extra cost. I also like the looks of the dutch press so I think I'll pull the trigger and get one coming.

Steve

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
I think I would have a harder look at the sturdy press. http://sturdypress.com/  It costs less and will handle a lot more weight.  The one I bought is very nice and very well made but only goes to 200 pounds.  Not sure I'll ever need more but it would be nice to be able to press heavier if I had to.  With that said I really didn't like the bucket idea on the sturdy press.  Also did not like the lack of a pad or foot on the vertical arm.  Looks like it would destroy a follower in short time.  Needs a round foot to disburse the weight more IMHO.

Al, you could mimic the press foot that my Dad did on the press he made for me.  it fits into that center place in all my followers, even the ones he made he put a depression into so that the foot would fit in snugly and keep it plumb.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »
Tiarella I could have made a press of my own design but didn't want to waste my time on something I could buy.  I may buy a sturdy press in the near future for those times it's needed but if I do it will be fitted with pulleys and a foot.  As I said earlier, I didn't like the idea of a bucket of water for weight, although inventive, and I certainly would not want to put that much pressure on what appears to be a 4 sq in area.  Sounds like your Dad fixed you up Tiarella.  Keeping the foot square to the follower seems to be a big issue.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:04:03 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
AL, you have raised some of your concerns with the sturdy press.

" With that said I really didn't like the bucket idea on the sturdy press."

The sturdypress does not "require" any water for lever arm weight, in fact the calculator that comes with the press calculates the lever arm weight in lbs, or kgs, or cups of water, or liters of water. You can use any weight you want although water is cheaper than iron, lead or any other metal. Water can also be measured by volume so you don't need a scale to get the correct lever arm weight.

"Also did not like the lack of a pad or foot on the vertical arm.  Looks like it would destroy a follower in short time.  Needs a round foot to disburse the weight more IMHO."
 "Keeping the foot square to the follower seems to be a big issue."

If you calculate the torque using a 1 1/2 inch square push rod on the follower ,you will find it adequate to keep the follower level. I have NEVER received a complaint about this issue from any of the 400+ users of the sturdy press.

"I may buy a sturdy press in the near future for those times it's needed but if I do it will be fitted with pulleys and a foot. "

Why would you need pulleys when the sturdy press will press over 500 lbs without them?

The cabarrusfarms press is a fine press, but it would be better to compare presses using the REAL attributes of each press.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Simply put, I was asked about my opinion of the presses I commented on and gave it.  It is simply that, my opinion.  I would put a foot on the push rod because I would not care to place 500+ pounds on a 2.25 square inch surface.  I would equip it with pulleys so I could achieve that 500+ pounds using less weights.  I think the press is a very nicely designed and built press.  I also think that pressing at 500 pounds, approx. 222 psi at the base of the push rod is not a good idea.  I think you may find that your customers may be placing blocks of their own between the push rod and the top of their followers.  At any rate I have nothing against your product. If I did I would say so rather than saying I'll probably be buying one.  I design machines and tools for a living so I naturally look at everything with an eye towards making it better suited to my needs.  Your press is no different that anything else I look at.  Sorry if you took offense or saw my comments as an attack on your product but it was certainly not meant to be one.  Simply an honest statement of my opinion of a product I had looked at.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:25:11 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
Ordered a Sturdy Press tonight for those cheeses that require some very heavy pressing.  Wanting to do a parm. Very eager to get this as I've heard a lot of great things about it.  Hope the software works on a MAC.

green zebra

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
Hi Al,
I have asked before and lost my way to your response on the forum. So here i go again...i too am looking for big molds to make parma and the like and you gave me a link but i did not take it down and then i lost my way to finding it. I did check out "new replies to my posts" option but that failed me too! Very frustrating!
Before i make or buy a dutch press, i want to be sure of the size of molds to match the press.

Someone else suggested i send a personal message to iratherfly, but i cannot locate his email or at least, i don't know how to. Gee, can you tell i am a newby at this forum!! LOL! I have read alot, just not commenting as much but am thoroughly enjoying the education!

Thanks for any help.
Doris

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
Not sure what it is you want to know.  If you need to know if your molds will fit these presses simply email the makers and ask them.  The Dutch press I have will accept an 8" diameter mold.  I have a Sturdy Press on the way but haven't received it yet.  I believe it will accept a 12" diameter mold but don't qoute me on that as I'm not positive.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
Al is correct, The space for molds on the sturdypress is 12 inches wide by 10 inches tall, so any size mold up to those dimensions will work.