Author Topic: Cave with Cloth Bandaged-Cheddar Odor  (Read 1983 times)

FictionalCheese

Cave with Cloth Bandaged-Cheddar Odor
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a pair of cloth bandaged cheddars aging in my cave (which is a 3.2 cuft mini fridge) that are giving off a strong smell. I wouldn't describe the smell as bad, per se (though not good either). More of an earthy smell (as if I were sniffing a handful of dirt perhaps, though I haven't actually gone out and done a nose to nose comparison).

There is, however, a bit of a problem. I opened up my first cheese a couple of days ago, a drunken cow, and that has the same smell on the rind. You really have to get your nose close to it to notice the smell, but, unfortunately, you do when you're sticking it into the mouth (otherwise the cheese tasted good). For other cheeses I could cut off the rind, but that seems to defeat the purpose for a wine soaked cheese.

What I'm wondering is, if there's a good way to either remove the smell from the rind or to keep the smell from getting on the rind of other cheeses. Aside from completely segregating my cheddars, which isn't feasible at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions (or commiserations).

bbracken677

Re: Cave with Cloth Bandaged-Cheddar Odor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
First I would let the drunken cow cheese breathe a bit and see if the smell diminishes....otherwise I might try a wine wash with the drunken cow cheese to help remove the odor.

To prevent this from getting on other cheese you should consider placing your cheeses in containers, or mini-caves, which would minimize cross contamination.

An earthy smell/taste is actually the target for certain cheeses   :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
In Mary Karlin's book she suggests waxing drunken cow cheeses to avoid what she calls a musty wine cellar flavor to the rind.  I didn't wax mine and did get this flavor.....I don't eat this rind much but it's not really that bad.  Is that the flavor you're noticing?  I don't have any clothbound cheddars in my cave....just washed curd and Caerphilly.  I have to fight with wild blue molds that give a bit of mustiness and I do get Geo and B linens without trying.

FictionalCheese

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
Is there any particular method to letting a cheese breath? I've had the remnants in my regular refrigerator, wrapped in parchment paper, and, I think, the smell is lessening. Is the better/quicker way?
I'm actually tempted by rewashing it with wine, because the occasionally wash to remove what little bacteria was forming on it took away some of the beautiful color.

Tiarella: No, it's not really flavor, I don't think. But I will be on the watch for that in future cheeses, and if I have problems, I'll know what's gone wrong.

Thank you both.