This is my 2nd caerphilly, inspired by H-K-J and JeffHamm....the first one was early in my cheesemaking "career" and one of the first hard cheeses I made. The first was dried too much (very low RH here typically) and did not develop properly...end result was an oddly shaped hockey puck.
This make should end better since I have learned that lesson, along with a few others making cheddar. The make itself seemed to go well...temps were kept under control and temp and time targets hit rather well. Due to a continued lack of a working pH meter, I had to wing it, so I followed Jeff's 6th make as closely as I could. Looking to age this one out to the beginning of the year. It will be presented for consumption on 12/30 or 1/5 depending on when the family gets together
2 gallons whole milk 3.5% fat, pasteurized, non-homogenized.
1/4th tsp. 100% CaCl.
1/4th tsp. flora danica
1/4th tsp single strength liquid veal rennet (22 drops)
2.5 tablespoons salt (and more for salting during pressing)
1) Warm to 90F, Add mesophillic culture (Flora Dancia) : 10:00 AM (Hit 90F)
2) Wait 60 min (target time 11:00) Time: 11:20
3) add 1/4th tsp. 100% CaCl in 1/4th cup water
4) Time 11:20 Temp 90F, add rennet (1/4th tsp. in water), stir
5) Floc time 11:31 so 11 min, 3.5x floc so wait 38 min (40 min by recipe) Target cut time: 11:59
6) 12:00 Cut into 1/4" cubes
7) Rest 10 minutes to heal (start 12:06)
8 ) Raise temp to 92 over 10 minutes (reached 92 at 12:30, starting temp was 86 ish)
9) Stir for 40 min with curds at 92F (Start time: 12:30) Pitch and drain after 5 minutes (temp is 93F)
10) 1:35 drain in cheese cloth for 5-10 minutes to form curd cake (press lightly if necessary; ie 2 litre milk jug filled with water placed on top of follower on top of cheese cloth “bag” of curds in colander)
11) 1:45 curd mass is in pot, in sink with warm water holding at 94-95F
12) Flipped mass every 10 minutes over 30 minutes (so flip at 1:55 and 2:05)
13) Milled into thumbnail size bits (start 2:10)
14) Added 2.5 tbls of salt
15) Pressing in the pot under 2 psi (2:35-2:45)(10 minutes)
16) Flip, salt, and re-dress
17) Press in the pot under 3 psi (2:50-3:00) (10 minutes)
18) Flip, salt, and re-dress
19) Press in the pot under 4 psi (20 min) (3:05-3:25)
20) Flip, salt, and re-dress
21) Press overnight under 5 psi. (starting at 3:35PM)
Out of press weight: 2 lb 2.5 oz.