Author Topic: Newby cheese cave question: Any reason I shouldn't use this?  (Read 9475 times)

loobyluce

Newby cheese cave question: Any reason I shouldn't use this?
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Hiya. I'm new to cheese making. I've made 3 Creamy Lancashires which will be eaten young at Christmas.  :)
I'm after getting a cheese cave set up for Christmas. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2701888.htm
I was thinking I'd sort out humidity by trail and error with a probe hydrometer/thermometer and a bowl of salty water. It's a bit small but somewhere to start. Any objections anyone? Thanks.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Newby cheese cave question: Any reason I shouldn't use this?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
It will be too small Immediately!  You'll be wishing you had more space.  I can't tell you if the temp and humidity will work.  Most frisbee won't stay warm enough for cheese aging.  The controls don't offer that option.

loobyluce

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
I know it'll be too small but I'm in a tiny house and trying to ease my partner into the idea easy  ;) It has a temp range 5-15C (41-59F) on a 5 setting thermostat and is on ebay for next to nothing at the moment so I think I'll still give it a go if it stays cheap. It's currently on for less than Id pay for the shelves so it might be worth a punt. Thanks

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
You could always buy 2 and stack'em!