Author Topic: Camembert and Cambozola from same batch?  (Read 2480 times)

cutetrill

Camembert and Cambozola from same batch?
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
Do you think it's possible to take 1 gallon of milk, and use a Camembert recipe, but when you put the curds in the mold, sprinkle some blue mold on half of them so that you come out with one Camembert and one Cambozola from the same batch? Cause I'd like to make both for a party in a couple months but I don't have the time or amount of camembert molds to put it down at the same time.

cutetrill

Re: Camembert and Cambozola from same batch?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
Well, I decided to go ahead and followed the recipe for Camembert off of cheesemaking.com. Added the culture and let sit for 30 minutes, then added rennet. Flocculation was at 10 minutes (little fast I think) I cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and let heal for 5 minutes, then stirred gently for two minutes.  I then took half the curds and filled the first mold and ladled the rest into the cheese cloth lined colander to drain for 20 minutes. Then I ladled half the other curds into the second mold and sprinkled on a bit of PR. Then added the rest of the curds.  Let's see what happens!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Yes you can do that.  It's fine.  You'll just need to pierce the blue mould cheese on day 2.  Normally when you do this you wouldn't add the white mould to the blue, just blue.  After 3-4 days you can spray the white on.  The problem is white grows far more agressivelythan blue and if you add it in the vat you need to repierce a few times since the white grows over the holes and chokes the blue out.

cutetrill

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:25:31 PM »
I added the white mold to the milk when I added the culture. I plan on just keeping the holes free of the white mold as best I can. I've already made a couple Camemberts before, so I know how agressive that white fuzz can be. :)

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
How did that camembert combozola turn out?  I know it was a long time ago, but inquiring minds would like to know.