Author Topic: 2nd Presed Make with Pics - Pepper Jack  (Read 5913 times)

rolsen99

Re: 2nd Presed Make with Pics - Pepper Jack
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
Maybe I should go commercial!   :D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
Well based on the prices I saw for dutch style presses I can't imagine anyone is making much money on them.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tobiasrer

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
I dont know that its always done for the money!
When I built my dutch I had more waste then I shoyuld have but i didnt have an exact plan till I was done so...
And its material cost was about $60 Canadian, whith out shopping for materials I just bought them local. And most similiar are running at 130+, so thats a decent mark up! Now I dont know what sales vloumes on presses are like so I cant see it being a profitable venture but....

rolsen99

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
I just like building stuff on my own, it's fun, plus saves a few bucks.  I have no idea what they even go for.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
Most are between $100-$150 U.S.  When you add in your time it would seem you aren't paying yourself much to build, advertise, and warranty them.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

rolsen99

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
I decided to cut the pepper jack today for the super bowl.  Unfortunately it is very dry and crumbly.  It was aged naturally, no waxing or vac-pac.  The flavor is good, but texture is off.  Also, as expected, I didn't add enough pepper juice to the cheese.  Next time, I will use hotter peppers for sure.

Will someone please give me some of the causes for dry / crumbly cheese?  Humidity hovers around 85%.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Will someone please give me some of the causes for dry / crumbly cheese?
Well, you could search on "Dry and Crumbly" in the forum or you could go to the wiki.

Common problem associated with excessive acidity, overcooking, too much culture, too much stirring.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rolsen99

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »
Thanks Boofer, I did some research.

One thing I can't seem to get a handle on is stirring.  Many recipes will state "stir for 30 minutes", or something similar.  But, I know excessive stirring causes excessive moisture loss.  But, it seems when I try to limit my stirring, the curds become matted.  How do you find the happy medium?  Is clumping an issue?

bbracken677

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:25 AM »
You want to stir often enough to prevent matting, or clumping. I stir about every 10 minutes or so for a couple or few minutes (hows that for ambiguity?). When the curds are beginning to clump, you need to stir more often, or even continually depending on the cheese.

Quite often, depending on the cheese, when the curds begin to clump you may be nearing the draining stage.

rolsen99

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »
I don't think I have ever gone 10 minutes without stirring.  Appears this may be part of my issue.  It also sounds like I have a noobness issue.  I need to be able to react to what's happening, rather than simply staring at a timer.

High Altitude

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
Do you have to boil the peppers if they are dried?  I'm about to make a second pepperjack with red pepper flakes.  With the first one I made, I blanched fresh chopped peppers and added to drained and salted curds.  I have read that when adding dried herbs/spices, you don't need to blanch unless wary of their origin.  I hate to lose any "hotness" with blanching dried peppers.  Thoughts/experience anyone?