Author Topic: this made me laugh  (Read 3612 times)

stuartjc

this made me laugh
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
so much...  :D

"During this critical phase...." indeed!

Cheese Head

Re: this made me laugh
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »
Yep very cute, dry humor :D. And yes at times it can be a dirty job!

What was interesting to me was:
  • They added the starter culture at 70 F / 21 C before warming the milk.
  • They added the rennet once milk reached 90 F / 32 C, presumably as wanted time for culture to start working.
  • They used a vertical fishing line cheese knife/harp, no horizontal cut.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »
Stuart,
That was a fantastic video. Made me laugh as well.
Very well made video and very informative.
Thanks!

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »
Stuart, that was a great find!  Lot of truths in that video.  The patience to allow the steps to take their course, etc.

John, I also perked up when they said their knife was made of fishing string... I wonder if that is the nylon fishing string variety or the stainless version that Dave used in his as suggested by Wayne?  But not sure why the nylon variety wouldn't work... you'd have to find something to string it on and could essentially do it in one continuous run (maybe?).   Something to ponder! :)

Captain Caprine

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:57:15 AM »
That is about the cleanest "Dirty Job" that Mike Rowe has ever done.  I'm still scared from watching the show he did on artificial insemination of turkeys. :o
CC

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »
Mike Rowe is great...

This is a great talk he gave about doing that show.

Search for Lamb castration and Mike Rowe on Youtube, I'm not sure I can post that on this board!  (Not anything that is obscene, but it's... well may not be considered family viewing.)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
John, from what I've read you can add the starter at anytime. If you do an overnight acidification you can do without the heating. If you add it before heating that day very little acid will get produced as it needs to be in the 86 range to even start working, so adding it just gets it out of the way, probably.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:23:09 PM »
Thanks Carter, I've always tossed CaCl2 to standardize then starter culture and then any additives (Lipase, Colourant) into the milk while heating, rennet last of course, and it's always worked out ;D. Well almost my UP Goats milk never coagulated and went down the drain.

But I was asked if OK optimal to add starter before warming the other day, so good to confirm nothing wrong.

stuartjc

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »
John, from what I've read you can add the starter at anytime. If you do an overnight acidification you can do without the heating. If you add it before heating that day very little acid will get produced as it needs to be in the 86 range to even start working, so adding it just gets it out of the way, probably.

Did I read this right? You can add your meso(lith)(phil)ic starter to the cold milk in the fridge and allow it to acidify overnight in the fridge? Or did I misunderstand you?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
Not in the frig, in the open. Here's a link to the site where he does it. http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

stuartjc

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
shiny!

Thanks!