Author Topic: what wine fridge to buy in Australia?  (Read 1695 times)

margaretsmall

what wine fridge to buy in Australia?
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
I'm thinking to replace my wine fridge. Its a cheap one from Target and can't cope with our climate. OK in spring and autumn but when the ambient temperature goes below about 6oC or above 30oC it can't keep within the 10-12oC which it claims to maintain. Our last winter hit us with temperatures down to -12oC and I ended up turning it off as the temperature in the fridge rarely even reached 10oC, while this  summer  we have had 35oC frequently, I resorted to putting some icecubes in every day at about 10am. I figure this is not good for my cheese! So, other Australians, can you recommend a smallish wine fridge which can cope with these fluctuations in temperature? From what I've read compressor type fridges work better- is that the case? I know some people use an external regulator, but I doubt this would work as it doesn't seem to have a heater to warm the air when necessary, and as the cooler was working non-stop on hot days without much effect, it basically isn't good enough. Rather than throwing more moneh at this one, I'd rather start again.
I'd welcome any advice on this.
Margaret

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: what wine fridge to buy in Australia?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:41:09 AM »
Not sure what's available down under Margaret but have you considered buying an Igloo Upright Freezer like the one I got?  I bought it at Best Buy but I'm sure they are available elsewhere. $190.00 here.  Small footprint and the compressor will more than keep up with your weather.  I use a Johnson Controls thermostat and at 56F it stays at 85-90% RH all on it's own.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos